Condensation in headlights

I

imported_ashs3

So I get my motors changed which solves the problems with my headlights pointing in all directions and now the right headlight is completely misted up after driving to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Do these ****** technicians get trained properly in anything ?

Any self fixes I can do to get rid of this, to save me a 100 mile round trip to the Dealer that replaced my motors?

I read something on this the other day, im sure it said take the headlight off and leave near a lamp for few hours for water to evaporate

ill find the post for you in a min /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cool, I want to try an do a fix that means just taking the back cover off the light not removing the light as don't want to screw the settings up.

Have heard of putting in those packs that you get in new trainer boxes, that was done by someone who had a beemer, condensation not normaly a prob with halogen lights but have noticed that it really dims and sends the Xenon beam all over the shop. Xenons are turning out to be a pain in **** !

yup for safety xenons have to be clean or the beam will go all over place and affect other drivers. Try the trainer thing first.

maybe when you run the lights for a while the heat will make it evaporate, or maybe use a torch in engine bay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

all i could find was the articles where u need to remove the lights im afraid

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8503&highlight=lamp

and bottom of this one

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24873&perpage=30&highlight=water&pagenumber=1

I found another post on this and in it Paul S3 said

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest making sure any vent tubes are still in place, and firmly on, and that all bulbs, covers, caps on the back are correctly seated...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone tell me where the vent tubes are located so I can check them?
Worried that the dealer left them off on the drivers side headlight as the passenger one is fine.

Take bulbs out and blow hot air with Hair dryer to get rid of condensation sounds crazy but works

Have heard that also, cheers.

Anyone know where the vent tubes are though?

Hi,

On my lights the vents are small rubber tubes kind of U shaped theres 2 or 3 on the light i think at the corners their hard to miss really if you look.
I have A4 tho,

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

most lights have vent tubes of some kind or other

normally little rubber boots or U's or boots with a gauuze filter in them.

The new Range rovers have to be waterproof, for obvoius reasons so they use goretex patches that let air in/out but not water.

I have also seen silica bags used in headlights to draw in moisture...

it may just be that since your headlights been disturbed, moist air has been allowed to enter when they broke the motor seal.

ive had my caps off and changed bulbs etc and never had a problem.

It should dry out, but i would think audi will hide behind this..

http://www.wak-tt.com/xenon/xenonmist.htm

Auid cannot hide behind breaking the left retainer clip on the drivers side headlight cover though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
They obviously broke it when doing the work as both of them were secure before it went in to Sinclair, I know as I checked all of them when I had the problem with the motors.

It means that as you look down at the back of the drivers side headlight, the left side clip is missing and has a nice clean new break, this of course means that the rear cover is not completely sealed hence the condensation (water spray in the bad rain on the motorway probably) It has cleared today as it has been dry and sunny.

Will be calling them on Monday and asking them to send me a new cover, I take it it the cables unplug and the cover just comes off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

the rear oval ish cover?

yes.. unclips at top, and just pulls out of the "hoops" at the bottom.

its a bit of a fiddle, shuffle and wiggle to get them out, regardless of which side your working on, but the do come straight off.

the bottom is just two pegs on the cap that sit in hoops, and act like a hinge when you clip top in.

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
the rear oval ish cover?

yes.. unclips at top, and just pulls out of the "hoops" at the bottom.

its a bit of a fiddle, shuffle and wiggle to get them out, regardless of which side your working on, but the do come straight off.

the bottom is just two pegs on the cap that sit in hoops, and act like a hinge when you clip top in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool that is what I thought (same as my old 328) the left clip is missing so need to replace the whole cover.

I take it the power cables just unclip from the cover as well?

they are just laid behind IIRC.

not really attached, just in the way..

Called Sinclair this morning and they are ordering and posting me a new headlight rear cover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
not too bad then!

[/ QUOTE ]

Got no probs what so ever with the boys in service @ Sinclair, they have been outstanding and they have bent over backwards to sort everything out (as it should be) just winds me up that a tech in the workshop broke this and did not fit a new one.