Badger5Sky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

TDI turbo actuator

Hi. My car's being going into limp mode and I think that it's the turbo actuator. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if it's safe to work the actuator rod back and forth to free it off without removing anything, or will this damage the actuator?
    Also what would be a good lubricant? I was thinking of copper grease because of the temperature.
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    What makes you think its the actuator thats causing your problem?

You can manually move the actuator safely but if you can do it 'easily' by hand then that could indicate the actuator has seen better days...

Have you had any fault codes logged?

A sticking/inoperative actuator if hold the wastegate shut would be producing uncontrolled boost which in turn would trigger limp mode... I would get the fault codes read if you haven't already and post the results...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The actator on a Deisel turbo is for actiavating the VNT mechanism. It is very possible that the vanes are sticking and thus causing limp mode. Search innotec, they do a proper decoke kit for VNT turbos.

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers
    I've had it scanned and I get code 17965 - Charge pressure control +ve deviation. Turbo is under 40k miles old from Audi main agent
    Last edited by a3tdi2001; 8th April 2010 at 14:21.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...