Welly's latest S3 project...

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Morning all.

Thought I'd open up a new thread for a new chapter in my sad little life... lol.

Some of you may be familiar with this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?92865-Audi-S3-Sale-and-engine

Pixelpollen has been having some issues with that S3 with regards to (initially) charge pressure, and then the turbo being completely FUBAR.

Anyway, having sold the A3 a few weeks ago and the dosh burning a hole in my pocket, I blitzed up to Liverpool last night to buy said vehicle. I have the view to fix whatever is wrong with it, and then sell on myself (which I made clear to the seller).

Sale price was £2950. Has 6 Months tax, FSH, 4 good rubber bands, and has has new brakes.

Initial thoughts are that the front bumper has some quite excessive gravel rash - may get this done. Engine looks tidy, has an AUM lump as was replaced late last year with new belt/pump/etc etc. Next to no optional extras in this one, no armrest :(, no heated seats, no cruise control. However, DIS is very good, and the stereo is spot on (no volume control issues)

Engine looks and sounds tidy, with the exception of lack of boost pressure. Car drives very well, no bangs, clunks or shimmies, and in convoy with my S3, drove the 170 miles back to my place. N75 valve has clearly not removed/unplugged since god was a boy which strikes me as odd after there being boost control issues with the car.

Anyways, I'm expecting to have to replace the turbo on this. I think the actuator has gone south on it and caused the initial issues. It has been to Awesome GTI who claim the turbo is seized (probably from overboost/excessive heat).

Work commences at some point this week.....

OK.... Adding to this, I've sourced a K04-023 if needed for bargain price of...... £240 plus VAT delivered.

Exchange unit required though which is a bummer (I was hoping to keep the knackered one to trade in for my hybrid).

:icon_thumright:

nutter... you bought that before even getting under there and having a bit of reach around action with the existing turbot?

Welly, can I suggest something?

Post the flipping fault code so someone on here can solve the issue, as PixelPollen should have done!! Unless he did later in the thread, sure he was asked for it about 10 times, to no avail!

Good luck with the project chap.

I need to read all of a thread before commenting! Hadn't read the Awesome GTI part.

Matt, you know me.... nothing if not impulsive! Bottom line being that it's worth what I paid for it in bits. I don't want it to come to that mind you, but thats the truth. S3 parts sell for good money as we all know! However, if fixable (which I'm sure it will be), then there might be some dosh in it for me. As far as I'm concerned, it's a no lose situation.

Oddly, on the way back, I could of sworn I could hear the turbo trying to spool. It was slow on the way back, but not as slow as was expected. Actuator pressure slow I couldn't comment really, I didn't drive it back, and the person who didn't isn't familliar with driving them to know what they should go like.

Also, there seems to be no oil leakage whatsoever, no smoke from the exhaust, none of the normally expected signs of turbo failure....

Before I take the TIP off, I'm going to pop out in it tonight and log 115 and 118 to see what id actaully going on with it under driving conditions.

(I know I haven't emailed you yet Matt, but I will I promise!)

Based on results from logs, I will then proceed with repairs.

come on welly, we dont need another s3 on the roads, get disecting it, we all needs bits a bobs. shotgun door mouldings!

Jim, would you mind replacing one of the letters in the profanity with a *? I'm testing content filtering software at the moment, and it's gone mental and won't let me view this thread properly!

welly.

£2 bet says seized actuator
another £2 says something wrong with the pipework for the actuator

id be well suprised if the unit is seized itself.

DO IT"!!!!

Haha this thread made me laugh, some more late nights to come then mate!

Matt

If that's the case, Matt, Welly just bought himself the steal of a century. 2k mark up what? Lol.

Jim, would you mind replacing one of the letters in the profanity with a *? I'm testing content filtering software at the moment, and it's gone mental and won't let me view this thread properly!

You just know what gonna be posted next don't you..... LMFAO!!!

<tuffty/>

Welly you no where u can get a nice Forge act from lol....

Whats your thoughts on the black hoses..?? pm me

Pete

welly.

£2 bet says seized actuator
another £2 says something wrong with the pipework for the actuator

id be well suprised if the unit is seized itself.

DO IT"!!!!

I'm inclined to agree pal, in fact thats EXACTLY what I thought. Especially since the sound of the blower is quite prominent. BUT it could just be the air passing through the stationary turbine blades....

The first on my 'to change' list is the N75 valve with a known working spare I have. The plug clearly hasn't been removed from the N75 AT ALL. This concerns me since it went to Audi, and had a 'Max charge pressure exceeded'. The N75 and associated piping would be my 100% first place to start.

So, bet on.... Paypal OK? lol :icon_thumright:

The bloke I bought it off will be well p*ssed if it is something like that though.... :(

If that's the case, Matt, Welly just bought himself the steal of a century. 2k mark up what? Lol.
my S4 ran like a dog when i got it. after a bit of TLC i had it back to full go in no time, i got a good deal too

i could sell it on now and make money on it. just needs a bit of dedication

Paypal is good for me to

my S4 reported boost limit exceeded. it was a MASSIVE boost leak

put me down for another £2 on "big boost leak, car going into limp"

the boost leak could have caused the turbo to over heat if it had crap oil, but those things are pretty hard

youre gonna haev this fixed in a jiffy

I'm inclined to agree pal, in fact thats EXACTLY what I thought. Especially since the sound of the blower is quite prominent. BUT it could just be the air passing through the stationary turbine blades....

The first on my 'to change' list is the N75 valve with a known working spare I have. The plug clearly hasn't been removed from the N75 AT ALL. This concerns me since it went to Audi, and had a 'Max charge pressure exceeded'. The N75 and associated piping would be my 100% first place to start.

So, bet on.... Paypal OK? lol :icon_thumright:

The bloke I bought it off will be well p*ssed if it is something like that though.... :(

Welly , you are a glutton for punishment. I would say the penny valve has broken, so boost is not being held

ooooh interesting side bet

how accessible is the turbo on a car with haldex?

ooooh interesting side bet

how accessible is the turbo on a car with haldex?

Ummmmm, not very!

If the turbo if FUBAR then realistically, it's head off job. Much easier that way. Thats no problem though, if it comes to it and it needs doing, then it needs doing.

I've bought it with the intention of bosching a new blower on it, anything less is just a bonus....!

Welly , you are a glutton for punishment. I would say the penny valve has broken, so boost is not being held

Mark, deffo a possibility, and wouldn't be hugely suprised.

Bottom line is that I won't know anything untill a little furthur investigation has been done.

A little bit of logging, and little bit of feeling, a little bit of pry bar action maybe and I think the puzzle will sart to become clearer.

Plan for tonight:

Get home, Eat! Take S3 - 2 out and log 115 and 118. Review results. Change N75 valve. Repeat logging. Review results. If good. Yay. If bad remove charge pipe assembly and have a good geeze at the turbo/actuator.

After that? Who knows.....

My guess is, it might have something to do with the N75/N249 valves.

fair fox to you matey, you obviously get bored very easily lol

i suppose you got plenty of experience of whipping off s3 heads by now, if it comes to that, how awesome would it be if its something like n75, but even if you have gotta replce the blower sounds like you got a sweet deal on that ko4 if needs be, plus doing all the work yourself, could be onto a winner there bud

done a couple of fixer uppers myself but kept it simple with a 106 needing a transplant and a corsa 16v with snapped belt, dont think i would tackle the likes of an s3, could open a can of worms, have enough issues with my s3 let alone another one of the feckers lol

shotgun the dis if you break it :icon_thumright:

S3's engine isn't any more complicated than any other dude. It's a bit tight to work on, yes, and everything made of plastic under the bonnet is likely to break, yes. Other than that, they aren't too bad!

shotgun the dis if you break it :icon_thumright:

You know my luck mate, it's not 'if' but 'when'. LOL :(

I think you and tuffty do a good job of keeping us entertained and educated with your threads on here, you've both provided some useful information, either on upgrades or repairs. Good luck with it, your going to be laughing all the way to the bank if it is something simple like the N75, or will that money not make it to the bank and just be spent on mods or another car?

It will be going back to the bank..... *cough* hybrid K04 *cough*.

Or, I guess depending on how this goes, another fixer upper may be in order....

Evening ladels and jellyspoons...

Well, work has commenced on the project motor.

Took it out and logged her.... Requested boost... 0.7 Bar. Actual boost. 0 Bar.

Disconnected actuator pipe and retested. Exactly the same.

So. Got back, and removed TIP. Span blades cold side and there was resistance at a certain point which seemed odd - almost like something was jamming the blades hot side. I forced the blades past this point and then it began to spin freely. However there was MASSIVE amounts of play in the shaft. Way, way, way more than I would ever be happy with.

So, that got me decided that the turbo has got to be changed. I won't do half a job on it, so off it comes!

Anyway. After logging and fannying about doing this and that, I started the head removal at about 9. Had it off by 10.30 and I must say that the engine is in FANTASTIC condition. The head is clean as a whistle. Very impressed. It's also had a new Chain Tensioner recently.

Anyway, all the turbo pipes are loose now, downpipe is disconnected, but the sodding Turbo Support Bracket is giving me grief. Again. I hate them!

Inside the hot side of the turbo is clearly visible, and has obviously gotten excessively hot. The entire inside is coated in whiteness! Never seen one like it. Took a photo for posterity! Will be interested to inspect it fully once the turbo is clear of the engine.

So - new turbo will be ordered tomorrow and will hopefully turn up on Monday - or Saturday if at all possible.

Photos from this evening:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It really is that white!

4.jpg

My garage. AKA Bomb site.

5.jpg

The head has clearly had recent work done.

Shrewd move, even if the turbo is knackered, that's a good price...

Hope all goes well, it's a nice looking motor.

oh well, we all lost our £2 bets but at least the head only takes an hour to get off