Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    5th Gear

Status

Strange sensor fault

Did my cambelt change a couple of weeks back.... all went well and whilst under the car i pulled the sump off too to give it all a good clean out and make sure the strainer was nice and clear which gladly it all was.... however after 1 day i started getting a sensor error on the the dash... a picture of an oil can with the word sensor next to it.... the strange thing is... as soon as i pull the bonnet release it goes away... if i then close the bonnet and restart the engine it will come back on... pull the bonnet and off it goes again.... i've looked for any trapped wires around the bonnet closure but can't see anything.... i'm not worried about it as it's abviously some sort of wiring issue rather than a true engine fault but it is a little annoying none the less... has anyone suffered anything similar ???
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Oil level sensor in the sump... either you haven't reconnected it or the wire has come unclipped and been damaged by the driveshaft..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    that sensor actually provides info about the variable servicing scedule for the car.

it actually takes into account the bonnet being opened. if it gives you a low oil level warning, that only resets when the bonnet opens and closes (ELSAWIN says so)

5th Gear

Status
    Right.... oil level is fine as i did that at the same time as the belt and it's the first thing i checked.... it does come up about service when i turn on the ignition.... so i guess i just need to reset the service warning then.....hold in the button and turn on the ignition is it ??? i'll have to search the forum for that one... interesting that it's linked to the bonnet release.... cheers guys.. i knew it would be something and nothing

5th Gear

Status
    All fixed... cheers guys..... just didn't associate the sensor warning with the service light... and what with it going off as soon as i pulled the bonnet it threw me completely into thinking it was some sort of short... thanks again