Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

outer cv joint... HELP!

hi guys, searched but couldnt find the answer, the outer cv joint has gone and im getting a new one from audi this week, keen diy'r when it comes to fixing my cars but im new to the audi. bought a manual to see how things are done.

it says that the whole drive shaft is to be removed but can the outer join be taken off the car with the driveshaft still in place?

just a case of undoing the hub bolt, undoing the lower arm from the balljoint and pulling the hub away from the ds then tapping the cv joint off the shaft? is this possible?

cheers for any help in the matter.

thanks,

mike

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    ive not done one myself but personally id look to undo the hub nut, undo the shaft from the diff flange and then press the outer cv from the hub. that should get your drive shaft off

if i were to buy a new CV, id get it from GSF and get a new GKN kit.

or, being more daring, get the old CV off. clean it right up, re apply grease and a new boot and start again, for much less cost

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

thats me

Status
    GSF tried 3 times to get me the right cv joint and failed right pain in the arse , Audi are not much more and was right first time. You can do the job on the car but some proper pliers for the cv boot clips really help. Think the center bolt is either 17 or 19 mm allen key
    red to red black to black blue to bits