Shark fin ariel on 2002 S3

StrmsekS3

Reaction score
hi guys looking for some advice again,
my ariel on my 2002 S3 is nackerd, rubber all split etc, dealer wants 48 quid for a complete new one bit steep me thinks.

anyway came across an idea to fit a shark fin in its place has anyone done this?? easy?? any advice much appricated

cheers Matt

Ive got a shark fin on my car. Mine was expensive because amplifier is more powerful, but the reception is now mint, i even get MW!!! Paid around £60 for it, but had to take the hit.
Had to spray it Blue and laquer it. Not much help on your question around fitting tho, i got my local car audio guys fit it, but it took them about 30mins max..... open the boot, at the top where the headliner starts, unclip the plastic trim, pull it down (includes a bit of the headliner), you should be able to see the cables, un clip the cables and pop the ariel off (this is as far as i can remember, if someone can verify)....
They put sealent on the underside of the ariel to stop any leakage.
I know there are cheaper ones on ebay, but not sure on how good they are.

hope this helps.

I can get some pics tom if you want.....

hi guys looking for some advice again,
my ariel on my 2002 S3 is nackerd, rubber all split etc, dealer wants 48 quid for a complete new one bit steep me thinks.

anyway came across an idea to fit a shark fin in its place has anyone done this?? easy?? any advice much appricated

cheers Matt

dont know how easy to fit, but would have thought it would be a lot more than 48 quid for a functional one?

@s17nj

Do you have a picture of it?

aye its not just the rubber seals thats gone the whole body of areal base is now split it def needs new, but i was thinking if im gonna spend 50 quid on a new standard one why not get a shark fin reckon it would look much better
any pics would be great cheers i didnt think it would be difficult just the guy at audi said it wont fit because of sat nav connections??

cheers

I'll try get some pics up tonight, if i get home before dark!

where did you buy your shark fin from s17nj?? just direct fit didnt need too drill hole bigger etc??

cheers

Right here's the pics, sorry might be a bit large.

I got it from a local caraudio shop in north london, dont know if thats near you. ill try and fish out the make of the ariel.
There are cheaper ones out there, i only went for this one to improve my reception.

DSC00882a.jpg

DSC00883a.jpg

DSC00884a.jpg

DSC00885a.jpg

Not a shark fin, but I got a cheapo beesting for about a fiver off eBay. Reception was OK but no MW or LW at all. All I needed was a PC5-52 aerial amplifier and it worked fine with my Alpine HU and I get all the stations all OK. I don't see why you'd need to spend £50+ on a shark fin aerial, surely there's cheap ones out there.

look good on the noggy good job. yeah there are loads of shark fins out there was just wondering about the actual fitment i.e bolt into roof, i will prob need the decent reception though being where i live but was just wondering about makes and specs.
all the help is much appricated