Ok, whats needed?

chris_marshall

MTM S3, Aprilia RSV Mille
Reaction score
Evening all,

Well after putting up with it for a while I think its time I upgrade the sound system in the S3. Last owner put a Alpine stereo in which is tidy enough but only seems to power the front speakers.
As far as im aware I dont have the BOSE, but have some sort of 'standard' sub in the left hand side of the boot.
Obviously want to get power to this and the rear speakers, so what is needed?
Also why im at it, was going to replace the front and rear speakers with some JL audio ones, what size are they?

Many thanks
Chris

That's strange - I was under the impression that all S3s came with BOSE as standard.

If you are 100% sure that you don't have BOSE and only have rear speakers that are amplified, then you will need an adapter like this one: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audi-wiring-adaptor-speaker-input.html

As far as speaker size, you'll need 5.25" components up front. The man that showed me how it's done (AndyMac) said that something like Rainbow 230slx or Focal Access 130 A1 are good for this. The main thing to watch out there is the clearance for the speaker magnet. There isn't much space between the door card and the door skin, but the above two fit nicely. I used Focal speakers front and back with AndyMac sub replacing the standard stuff and the sound quality and depth is a league of it's own when compared to standard stuff.

Remember to get some sound deadening material and line the door skin behind the speaker and around it - makes a massive difference.

Not all S3s came with BOSE.

Speak to Andymac about a replacement sub for your car, its discreet, fits in the same place as your original one and sounds sweet!!

That's strange - I was under the impression that all S3s came with BOSE as standard.

If you are 100% sure that you don't have BOSE and only have rear speakers that are amplified, then you will need an adapter like this one: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audi-wiring-adaptor-speaker-input.html

As far as speaker size, you'll need 5.25" components up front. The man that showed me how it's done (AndyMac) said that something like Rainbow 230slx or Focal Access 130 A1 are good for this. The main thing to watch out there is the clearance for the speaker magnet. There isn't much space between the door card and the door skin, but the above two fit nicely. I used Focal speakers front and back with AndyMac sub replacing the standard stuff and the sound quality and depth is a league of it's own when compared to standard stuff.

Remember to get some sound deadening material and line the door skin behind the speaker and around it - makes a massive difference.

Its only the front speakers that have power, not the rear 2 and the sub.