4 Point Harness

random101

Reaction score
Just out of interest has anyone fitted one to there S3? Either to the stock recaro seats or with bucket seats

This is true!
I would be looking at using it for track days, something that will hold me nicely in my seat as opposed to falling out when i take a nice hard right hander

You need to be careful fitting a 4 or 5 point harness into a seat which has a tipping seat back. In a very bad crash the harness could cause the back of the seat to collapse and take your spine with it. I've therefore always been told (rightly or wrongly) that a harness should only be used with a seat specifically designed for a harness.

Fair enough,

I can't really see how that would happen if mounted correctly? the downside i can see is if in a crash and the particular mounting points are hit, thus the harness crushing you.. but this is very unlikely i have seen a nice set up in an S5

but yeah .. still in the research phase of it all :)

Just that it will potentially become a regularly tracked car.. so the idea is to be able to detach the harness and use the 3 point -day to day

Having lived daily with the 4 point harnesses in my MG I would say they are a hassle, day-to-day. There's a bit more elbow room in the S3 admittedly, so maybe not such a pain in the ar*e?
They really do help you feel more connected to the car and will give you more confidence when driving hard. Personally i'd only use them with proper buckets.

Edit: Just saw you said you'd change back to 3 point belts for day-to-day, don't see why not!

Last edited:
never use a harness or a standard seat, or in a bucket seat without a roll cage. ive got a track prepared racing puma with full 6 point harness and cage. imagine being strapped in your seat and you roll it your going to get hurt. your risk to do it but i just owuldnt.

never use a harness or a standard seat, or in a bucket seat without a roll cage. ive got a track prepared racing puma with full 6 point harness and cage. imagine being strapped in your seat and you roll it your going to get hurt. your risk to do it but i just owuldnt.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Cant see any difference with or without a cage.

Id personally go with buckets seats and harnesses. The difference it makes when chucking round a course is great.

a cage willl stop the roof collapsing ontop of the seats and will stop your head from being squashed against the roof. at the end of the day its your choice to do what you like but ive seen and know of many people who have been hurt through incorret set-ups o n a road car and even when on track days. tbh i think on a track day you shouldnt be allowed harness's unless you have astleast a half cage for the reason above.

So if you have normal seats and belts if the roof is crushed you will be fine?

I can see where hes coming from. in normal seat belts your body can bend down to your knees. but if your strapped right up the chair your body cannot bend down and if the car was rolled youd probably just be snapped in half!

Your in big trouble either way. I dont think it really matters.

But yes a rollcage is recomended for track use and if youve got a cage then a helmet is a must too.

I rekon it would make quite a big difference though. least you can move down when the roof collapses rather than just having your neck and back snapped in half.

I wonder whats worse, seat + harness and no cage and harness on std seat and no cage or std seat, std belt and no cage

I would feel more "at one2 with the car in a bucket seat plus proper harness personally.. It is no fun, and not great control when on track when on std belt and seating

Well from what i have gathered no one has put one in a standard S3 seat... lol

I'm not worried about rolling the car and having the roof crushed and crushing me as well..

Still would love to hear from someone thats done it :) and how they went about fitting it.. .

I can see i can retro fit the lap belt in the current positions but am still trying to work out a way that the shoulder restraints would go..

I can't tell you about a five point harness, but i can tell you about rolling an A3 at 60 mph, surprisingly comfortable! The Airbag makes your face swell a bit but its better than four rings on your fourhead. As for the roof, it held up pretty well considering it rolled three times (Witness, 2008).

Well if anyone has any ideas on how to fit it im all ears :)

So if you have normal seats and belts if the roof is crushed you will be fine?

haha love it. i was thinking that too

i once saw a heavily rolled lancia delta which had recaro buckets. the roof folded around the seats and saved the driver...

That must of been some strong old seats then, cheap ones would of just snapped in half.

To mount the shoulder staps you will have to remove the rear bench seatbelts and secure them here as these are the proper 7/16" UNF threads you need and the bolts will be supplies with the harness to suit this.

As for the lap belts you will be able to fit the outer lapstrap to the lower outer 3x3 seatbelt fastening position (also 7/16").

As for the inner i havent looked on the s3 but most cars ive seen the seatbelt buckle is secured to the seat, therefore it would be preferable to drill a hole in the tunnel and secure a 7/16" stress plate on the outide of the chassis.

If you did not want to drill your car you could fit the inside lap strap to the seat subframe (side mount of a bucket seat) but the fist option is preferable.

I would always recommend a fixed back bucket seat for use with harnesses. but if you can help it get a compsite bucket seat frather than a space framed one they are much more supportive.

Stress plates - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Store...&_Accessories/Harness_Eye_Bolts_&_Plates/1758

Hope this helps
Callum