MOT Today....

for the S3? my guess is theylli moan about a cv boot.

i can feel it in my waters

for the S3? my guess is theylli moan about a cv boot.

i can feel it in my waters

Hmmmm, what CV Boot? I cleaned it up last night so it looks as good as new. What CV Boot? lol.

Your waters were right though. One is a bit duff.

I've got to change the offside inner CV on mine today, leaving for germany at 2am tomorow, so I best get it done!

Good Luck Welly

Well, it didn't go so badly...

Apart from the EPIC fail on emissions. I will scan the output sheet in when I get back to the office and upload it.

It's got to be the map.... Maybe?

Here is the damage then peoples.....

emissions1.jpg

Bigger version available here: http://www.thewellings.co.uk/audi-sport/logs/emissions2.jpg

CO might be a little high....

The carbon footprint of a Dinosaur!

Last edited:
wow. thats going some. go back and tell them youve done an engine swap... to a 5cyl turbo lump from an S2 quattro from back in the day

theyll have to test the emssions to the standard of the old engine. happy times

i think the limit then was 6% haha

If you take 'AKA Race Mode' out of your sig I reckon it will go down...

<tuffty/>

My old Redtop in my Corsa didn't need testing at all - it was pre cat law. Now that used to run rich as, used to spit 2 ft flames out of the side exit exhaust! Happy times also!! :)

another failed s3 on emissions, mine was the same, ive changed the lambda sensor and it made no difference so going in for a new cat tomorrow, maybe something similar with yours mate ?

another failed s3 on emissions, mine was the same, ive changed the lambda sensor and it made no difference so going in for a new cat tomorrow, maybe something similar with yours mate ?

I'd say it's more likely to be engine management for me. However, sports cat time if I need a replacement.... Shibby. :icon_thumright:

Hmmm. map settings should have no effect on mot emissions test tho.
idle is on closed lambda control as would be fast idle..
lean on idle , rich on fast idle?

makes little sense to me

Hmmm. map settings should have no effect on mot emissions test tho.
idle is on closed lambda control as would be fast idle..
lean on idle , rich on fast idle?

makes little sense to me

Well, I've booked it back in for an emissions retest on Tuesday AM. Could you use the SPS Switch to switch it back to stock, and then back afterwards? Seemed to me the SPS is quicker than plugging it in.

If so - will it remember the settings you've applied?

The other thing I forgot to mention is that she is mullering through fuel now!

I love my Audi :mad:

Last edited:
ign has been turned up, as had boost to the max of 9,9 as you know.. so under wot yea, I would expect it do consume more fuel.. the idle and lambda from the mot result tho may be an indication of the lambda being faulty, which could have happened when it saw a lot of smoke after the engine problem and initial start once rebuilt
narrow band lambda i think on yours?

OK, that's a possibility. Annoyingly she was a brand new lambda not long ago and at £80 they ain't cheap.

I guess that's possibly true of the cats as well. Surprised there isn't an emissions warning in fault codes.

Yeah, is a narrow band lambda. No fault codes from the lambda on Vag Com which is irritating - being a narrow band is hard to test as well I believe.

OK, I have, over the last hour or so, debating my options here. I suspect it's the cat/cats at fault here. It's only had a new lambda in the last 5000 miles. Smoke or no smoke, I just can't see it. So what does that leave? Well, that leaves us with the minorly expensive option of a new cat.

The reason behind this suspicion being that the engine is pulling and behaving very well. If the lambda was false reporting, for whatever reason, I would expect it all to go to sh*t and it to be down on power or something. Basically, have some other side effect other than having gash emissions....

So, I think I have a plan.

New lambda. Order monday, arrive Tuesday. Fit Tuesday night. Retsest Wednesday. Probably laughably fail again. Cry, and go home.

I've been looking at sports cats on the bay. Pipewerx one comes in at £487 delivered (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-TT-S3-3-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45ecfcabec). There is also a cheaper one on there which I have never heard of for £320 or best offer. I expect that would be bought for £300 plus delivery. Not convinced of the quality though (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-VW-TT-S3...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a81d6223). Anyone who's got experince of these, jump in any time.

I would go with the pipewerx one I would imagine.

So, that's £487. And due to them being such an utter b*tch to fit, I wouldn't be doing it. So that would be plus labour to fit. Est total £600. Ouch. Plus Lambda. £685.

I have also phoned up Longlife down the road from me in Berkeley. They can do me a 3" downpipe, and 200 cell sports cat with a lifetime waranty for £550 fitted. Plus Lambda. £635.

All of this based on the fact that it's not the lambda gone wrong.

So, what would Jesus do?

have a beer

Now that is what I call advice.... lol :salute:

This car just doesn't like me, thats all it comes down to. Even after I put a new engine in her, she still hates me. It must be related to a woman I've stitched up in the past. Either that or it's p*ssy because I've sold it's sister! lol.

I'll be dropping that SATA/USB converter in for you tonight dude.

im having my new sports cat fitted today and hopefully it will pass, have changed lambda so will keep you updated to let you know if the cat change made any difference could be of use to you :)

Well, with a little help from Bill I seem to have found the problem.

Long story short, the fault codes from removing the N112 valve and the N249 valve, and the lack of their electrical connection was enough to STOP COMPLETELY the ECU's adaptive fuelling on idle.

Lambda was not giving any readings at all in block 032 for fuel trims, or any response at all on block 001. Simply getting 0.0% all the time.

Reinstallation of these valves and clearing the fault codes has resolved this issue. The lambda controller on the ECU had been disabled because of these codes being there.

SO all who have done the N249 and/or SAI removal beware come MOT time if the sensors aren't plugged in!

Bill might post the link to Vortex we were looking at hopefully - I'll add this info to my N249 removal guide and jonny87's SAI removal guide.

On the same note, do you guys think a 120 cell sport cat would pass MOT in a few month on s3? I have not fitted it yet but will do in a few days, having looked inside it just looks like a fine matrix of metal creating the cat! do these things work? or is it going to be a problem! thanks

Long story short, the fault codes from removing the N112 valve and the N249 valve, and the lack of their electrical connection was enough to STOP COMPLETELY the ECU's adaptive fuelling on idle.

Lambda was not giving any readings at all in block 032 for fuel trims, or any response at all on block 001. Simply getting 0.0% all the time.

Reinstallation of these valves and clearing the fault codes has resolved this issue. The lambda controller on the ECU had been disabled because of these codes being there.

SO all who have done the N249 and/or SAI removal beware come MOT time if the sensors aren't plugged in!

Bill might post the link to Vortex we were looking at hopefully - I'll add this info to my N249 removal guide and jonny87's SAI removal guide.

fudge sticks!! my mot is soon, think il tell my mate to accidently slip the emissions probe up another exhaust lol

funny though, never read any feedback like this from other guides/discussions for the n249/sai?
also i thought the n249 was purely boost related, nothing to do with emissions?
and the sai was only there to control emissions on cold starts?

trust you to have to find out all this the hard way though dude :banghead:

Did you have any resistors in place of the sensors or were the plugs just dangling?

Did you have any resistors in place of the sensors or were the plugs just dangling?

Just empty plugs mate. Resistors would do the same job though, I'm just not personally a big fan.

I electrically connected the N249, but my N112 valve was broken and I'd throw it away. So I plugged an old IAT sensor I had kicking about as it had the same plug. That worked fine and cleared the fault code.

This just goes to show that the ECU doesn't care whats there as long as it gets some sort of current to say something is there!

trust you to have to find out all this the hard way though dude :banghead:

Always dude - for me it's the hard way, or the harder way. lol.

You'll be fine, just check that the stuff you unplugged is either resistored up, or plugged back in and all should be fine.

Obviously the acid test is my emissions retest on Tuesday!

i got resistors for my sai and n112, n249 is still there though

yer let us know how you get on tuesday matey, think my mot is mid may so got a while yet to sort any problems out, getting new bushes and wheel bearings done in next few weeks so will get them to check emissions then for me see what they come back as

Easiest check is to look for activity on block 001 lambda.

Mine was sat constantly at 0.0% ALL the time, where as it should be constantly fluctuating.

Fuel trims on 032 were 0.0% for both also which shows that the lambda wasn't being used at all.

not got vagcom dude, keep meaning to get it but whenever i have the money something else breaks/needs replacing lol

little help from me.. hehe

vortex link is here>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4764430

my advise for folks messing with their n248, n118 etc etc... dont mess with resistors, just plug in the solenoids and hide em where you want.. a resistive load is not the same as an inductive one on a switching coil.. you just make resistors hot and ecu is having to drive extra current.

Adaption is prevented is the learning point here all round.
rgards
bill

Indeed, i have to be honest, without you posting this here, it would never have occured to me that adaption would not take place if there was an error.

So thumbs up for your little bit of help !!!

LOL