diagnostic tool

michaelspirou

Reaction score
My car is an A3 1.8T 2001 year
I need some advice about geting a diagnostic tool or Diagnostic Software that I can use on a laptop on the cheap.

VAGCOM.... if you plan to keep the car and/or do your own servicing/maintenance etc then its the best £200 (ish) you can spend... If you plan to stick with VAG's then get the HEX+CAN lead... and as I found out the other day it will talk to other OBD complient cars with an OBD port too... Bill plugged his in to a Vauxhall Corsa and could read fault codes etc :)

<tuffty/>

You buy the lead and just get the latest version of the software... The choice is simply a HEX+CAN lead if you want to be able to use it on newer cars than yours as well as your own (so if you change your car to a Mk5 Golf or an Audi A3 8P for example) or if you want to save a bit of money and only use it on your car or other K-Line compatible cars then go for the KII lead...

HEX+CAN is the future proof one...

<tuffty/>

VAGCOM.... if you plan to keep the car and/or do your own servicing/maintenance etc then its the best £200 (ish) you can spend... If you plan to stick with VAG's then get the HEX+CAN lead... and as I found out the other day it will talk to other OBD complient cars with an OBD port too... Bill plugged his in to a Vauxhall Corsa and could read fault codes etc :)

<tuffty/>

On an unrelated note - did a new MAF sort that fueling problem?

Dunno yet mate... not over the workshop until tonight....

<tuffty/>

The ebay leads work ok but only with the shareware version, you won't get all the features unless you register it and that will cost you $99 and ties it to the computer you installed it on. You also only get an early version of VAGCOM and can't upgrade to the latest version as the software only works with the official leads...

Ross Tech have now released what they call VCDS Lite, this replaces version 409.1

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html

<tuffty/>

Core this is confusing lol i just want a ok lead with a disc i can check codes and wipe them to lol why is this so hard to find

Not really... Get a cable from ross-tech.com and use the latest version of the software - simples! It costs more, but you get what you pay for.

I did buy two cables from ebay before getting the proper one. One broke within a few weeks and the other always had a problem with signal, which resulted in me scanning a module 3-4 times before getting a result. Very frustrating

Well is any body coming to santa pod on the 11th who has this vagcom who would like to bring it along,so we can all see how it works ?

With this ross tech what lead can i buy on ebay to make it work with my car on the ross tech software,as there is a few on there and would like to get the rite one thanks guys

With this ross tech what lead can i buy on ebay to make it work with my car on the ross tech software,as there is a few on there and would like to get the rite one thanks guys

See my post (number 12 above) that explains what you can do with an eBay lead...

<tuffty/>