Electrical problem

20vtmk3

Reaction score
Hi guys, just had a new altenator fited to my 2001 s3. Engine start fine and is charging fine but since changing the altenator the fans come on straight away on start up and the windows, mirrors and other stuff dont work at all and the boot doesnt open. Any ideas???

i think either when you disconnected your battery you have to reset the window positions. i think you just keep pressing the switch till the window has reached the top and then repress and hold the switch. repeat on every window.

or if there all not working at all, if have boosted your battery back up you might have had a little spike which means you might be lucky with replacing a couple of fuses. check the drivers manual and it will show you where each fuse is.

Thanks mate, Ill have a look after work

Fans will come on all the time if you have the air con on...

<tuffty/>

Air con wasnt on mate, its got worst now, windows dont work, cl's playing up, the esp and abs lights have come up on the dash and the radio doesnt work!!! Only thing we can think of is maybe the e.c.u has had a surch somehow and it needs resetting????

Disconnect the battery and leave for a little while, then reconnect it all up and see if it makes a difference, you got nothing to lose seeing as most things aren't working properly at the moment. Hopefully it'll reset the ECU etc.

Thanks for the reply mate, allready tried that about 6 times, its very strange. Seems that more things are goin wrong the longer i leave it

Good news at last, one of my mates got a wiring diagram for my car and found the problem to be the central locking pump. replaced it and its solved all the problems, result!!