What was this furking quick Skoda??

noodle

Reaction score
Coming home tonight, along a dual carriageway, I got caught behind a few cars and a Skoda came flying up behind me.

The cars in front pulled over, so I thought I'd make a little space between me and the Skoda, so floored it in sixth, doing about 80.

The thing is, I couldn't make hardly any distance, even when I got upto about 140 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
We had to slow down a bit and this time, when the traffic cleared, I dropped into 5th and redlined it, but still no major difference. Needless to say I was gobsmacked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It was a small hatchback type Skoda, not the Octavia vRS, and had, what looked like, standard twin tail pipes at the rear, on the right. Having looked at the Skoda website the car it looks like was a Fabia, but the fastest one of these is a vRS version with a 130Bhp TDi engine.

My S3 is standard 225 and I can't believe this was a standard Tdi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anybody have any suggestions, as I got home in 2 states of mind:
a) hope I wasn't spotted by the police
b) how could a little Skoda give me a good run

Gutted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Probably was the vRS noodle. There was a post not so long ago about this little pocket rocket.

Had a search and can't find the link but someone else on the site was surprised at just how fast they were also.

Remember though it might not have been standard as apparently the engines are easily tuned.

Blimey, I didn't think that a 130Bhp diesel engine could be tuned up enough to cause any problems...

This really does add to the case for a re-map /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks for looking tho'

Found the thread and some say that there are a few around with 190Bhp and very quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Anybody have any recent info on these little rockets and how to best deal with the little buggers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
noodle said:

Anybody have any recent info on these little rockets and how to best deal with the little buggers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As its a rocket is sticking a fuse up its A*** and lighting it an option ? ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

you can get over 190 bhp from them with just a remap, and a shed load of torque too !!!

I agree with Kris tdi. Was probably due to the diesels torque as you were already doing 80. From a standing start you'd of left it way back in the rear view!

Techie who worked for amd has one 220 bhp,hybrid turbo and loads of other mods .His car is black with polished tt 5 spoke wheels and it is fecking quick.Chip gives 180-190 bhp and 290-310 lbft.They are awesome little cars and very cheap £9000 secondhand. FR is a seat ibiza,seat also do a 160 tdi ibiza cupra! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

If it was a black Fabia, it could well have been the bloke from JBS Autodesigns in Chesterfield. It's the 150 diesel, but it's remapped with nitrous; he says it's pushing 230BHP. Now consider the weight of these little things, and how much torque it must be producing, and it's no surprise.

As for 'dealing with them' if you think it's been breathed-on walk (drive!) away. It's a bit like the little bloke in the pub who doesn't look much but then floors two bouncers.

Take little notice of BHP, its torque that counts, Torque is grunt or muscle yet in brochures very often you only see BHP.

vwed1

I mentioned in the other thread that i know of a 190BHP chipped one round my way and it is very quick for what it is. I still beat him in my std S3 (225) though, so i would imagine a chipped S3 would have no problem.

I just cant get my head around those tacky looking plastic chrome grills on the VRS' why are'nt they colour coded? ive seen one CC'd red abd it looked much better and more sporty!

Yeah, *never* under-estimate a diesel. If your in any doubt, use maximum attack to try and get some distance.

I quite like it when I hear these kinds of stories. Reminds me to not take it for granted I can pass or leave something on the assumption that it's standard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

As im between cars at the moment i have been driving a little corsa van........BUT WHAT A VAN!!!! Its a 1.7 Turbo Diesel and it is ****** quick!!! The lack of weight from no rear seats etc means its one hell of a motor! 0-60 was around 11 seconds which isnt great but..... Mid/High range torque is literally unbelievable!!! On the motorway the otherday i had no problems going from 60-100,110+ within a few seconds, it just pulls and pulls! Truely unbelievable and completely unexpected!!! I would love to see what a remap,DV and a set of lightweight rally wheels does to the old girl.

YOGi

Cheers for the replies fellas. I feel a bit better now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I wasted a 2CV this morning, just to 'let him know' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

(didn' really, but felt like it, just to get back my belief in the S3)

I destroyed a Civic Type-r from the lights once which was pure magic!

We ended up next to each other at the lights and he started revving up and rocking forward and him and his GF kept looking over laughing.

Lights changed, he got the initial reaction but i just destroyed him, 2- 3 car lengths then pottered along at 60 into the dual carrigeway the road led into! When he came past he wouldn't look across or aknowledge, oh and his GF wasnt laughing anymore either.

made me feel better as i had a CTR B4 the S3!

[ QUOTE ]
noodle said:
Cheers for the replies fellas. I feel a bit better now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I wasted a 2CV this morning, just to 'let him know' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

(didn' really, but felt like it, just to get back my belief in the S3)

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I seen a few CTR about and never had an 'opportunity' to play, and would expect not too see much difference in power, however having read that you got 2/3 cars distance, maybe I'll go find one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

I think i only done the CTR because it was from stationary, if it was one rolling i think it would be fairly even.

My mate has just got a ctr and were going to have a play when he comes up to see me in the next couple of weeks just its a bit unfortunate for him as he was going to come a couple of weeks ago so i expected a close run but finaly got the old beast chipped now and already have a big smile on my face which will soon grow when honda gets ate for lunch.

[ QUOTE ]
berts S3 said:
My mate has just got a ctr and were going to have a play when he comes up to see me in the next couple of weeks just its a bit unfortunate for him as he was going to come a couple of weeks ago so i expected a close run but finaly got the old beast chipped now and already have a big smile on my face which will soon grow when honda gets ate for lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't let the Type R possey hear that, they reckon the CTR beats even chipped TT's and they view the S3 as it's lesser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Read the thread I started here

I really did wind them up - was considering a CTR for a while but decided too 'boy racer' for me - reading thread you'll see I played along with the 'I'm getting one' scenario to keep things cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A standard PD130 with a AmD oneclick will push out 180/320. Which is enough to worry a standard S3 on the motorway. If you tangled with this VRs you wouldn't stand much of a chance - Its 200/340.

Ed

If i had to go and buy another car it would have to be a skoda, since vw took them over they may as well be using the vw badge. the good thing is they are not carrying the vw badge which means only one thing.

CHEAPER PRICES! i would have a vRs fabia which run 1.9pd engine, they leave most cars standing due the the power to weight ratio. and then add a single chip tune box and your flying!

Becareful against chipped Seats also!!! I had fun with one at Santa Pod the other month!! Swine didn't tell me it was chipped till i was home!!

It seems that these days you just can't tell. Go back a few years and the signs were obvious: Lowered suspension, big tyres, 8" exhaust, tinted windows....you get the picture.

Now days you see a TDi (nothing against TDi's) and can't assume you are going to see it dissappear into your rear view, which I found out to my horror /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I guess people are being more discrete now days, and suppose I'm guilty of that as that's part of the reason I brought the S3 in the first place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The re-map is getting closer.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My last vectra was a 150bhp diesel. Looked like any other 2006 vectra sri.

It was running about 185 - 190bhp with the only mod being a good quality digital tuning box. I managed to embarrass many a a wee hot hatch and a few big cruisers too.

Had a play with a Honda s2000, never lasted long, I stayed with him an a long uphill straight and he then proceeded to kick my ***...lol

Blimey, I didn't think that a 130Bhp diesel engine could be tuned up enough to cause any problems...

This really does add to the case for a re-map /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks for looking tho'

I have a vRS now after an S3 previously and I can assure you, a Fabia vRS with a simple chip or tuning box will be kicking out the same or more power at the wheels than a standard S3, with 200 KGs less weight and 100 lb-ft of torque more.

Once off the line and into 3rd, the S3 hasn't got a great chance...on 5th or 6th gear openings of the throttle, the S3 has absolutely no chance.

The best hope the S3 has is to keep the vRS in sight through the soot it chucks out and when the Fabia hits the limiter at around 135 MPH, pass it.

I kept an S3 behind me (I really do hope it was standard), and pulled out slightly right up to well over 120 when I lifted off, and he caught and passed me.

I was still getting 45 MPG though...

Don't under-estimate them...
Or Mk4 Golf 150 PDs...
Or Seat Ibiza Cupra 160s - they are mental quick!

Ess Three

Dont tell me this now after I've just bought an S3 :wtf:

I do prefer the old shape octavia vRS though.

You would be surprised what a re-mapped/Tuning Box'd 130PD will show a clean pair of heels to!
The vRS Fabias are NOT quick off the line though...but from 3rd upwards pull like a freight train, with no lag and huge torque - especially when tweaked.

I now have a 2006 2.0 TFSI Octavia vrs, seems a quick enough car and I'm averaging 32mpg ...quite happy, it does need a remap IMO as I think it has a lot more to give than the standard 200bhp without any further mods.

Yeh loads of 200bhp+ fabia's going round. Well 200bhp and about 10000000lbs.

my misus looked at the Fabia which she likes, all apart from the coach like seats with Hoooooge head rests....quick cars though, as standard not a problem for the S3, not seen a modified one yet though