help with in-tank fuel pump

SteveBAM

Black '03 S3
Reaction score
ok, so today I received a Walbro In-Tank pump (GSS 340, 255ltr ), went down to my garage, pulled out my S3 pump and that’s when it came to me that S3's have two tanks and that the stock pump has something like 2 feeds that circulates the fuel from one tank to the other which the Walbro pump does not support..:sadlike:.
Any ideas?? can this work or do I need a new pump?

Also, when I put everything back together again my fuel indicator shows empty and the empty indication comes up on the screen as is my tanks are empty.:faint: I checked all the wires and clips that come from the secondary pump, even put a multi meter across the wires to see if I'm getting any resistance and it all seems fine, I think..!!!!
what cold of gone wrong?
took it for a drive and apart from a whistling sound coming from the pump under full boost(with rear seats removed) it all is normal...!!

Any ideas where to look???

thanks

TBH mate I would have just used an inline pump if you are looking to fit a higher capacity one because of a big turbo etc...

<tuffty/>

TBH mate I would have just used an inline pump if you are looking to fit a higher capacity one because of a big turbo etc...

<tuffty/>

i was trying to avoid the extra wiring and relays that come with the inline.!!
but from the looks of it that might be the only way to go..

has anyone fitted an In-Tank on a S3 that can give any info???

You don't need extra relays bud, piggy back off the original wiring... have a look at my build thread, I fitted mine where the filter was and relocated the filter... much neater and easy to wire in..

<tuffty/>

You don't need extra relays bud, piggy back off the original wiring... have a look at my build thread, I fitted mine where the filter was and relocated the filter... much neater and easy to wire in..

<tuffty/>
yes i saw saw your thread, but is that the right way to go? wil the relay hold or both pumps?

but at the moment my main concern is the fuel indicator reading....0ltrs..!!!!:wacko:

Should be fine with a std pump and inline pump, has done fine with mine so far... can't remember if I upped the fuse a notch though...

<tuffty/>

Should be fine with a std pump and inline pump, has done fine with mine so far... can't remember if I upped the fuse a notch though...

<tuffty/>

ok, i might have to do that but do you recon i could turn the intank to a inline? just by getting something like a small hose adapter to fit a normal fuel line to it..so i dont have to go buy another pump...

TBH mate I don't know... I would guess not judging by the ones I have seen... I think Bill got one in to do an A3 he was fitting a GT2871r too and had the same problem as you... he ended up fitting an inline pump in the end...

I fitted one to mine which prompted Bill to have the OE style fittings made and he also fitted this setup to the 460 odd bhp Polo he built... so proven route tbh..

<tuffty/>

fuel-fittings-pump-1.jpg

This works, as as close to plug and play as you can get, leaving just a short run to the existing fuel pump wiring to tap into.
installed in S3 (tufftys)
installed(S3).jpg

installed in a polo BT I built
polo-fuelpump-1.jpg

location of mounting is where existing fuel filter lives, which gets relocated up front into the line feeding to the fuel rail

fuel-fittings-pump-1.jpg

This works, as as close to plug and play as you can get, leaving just a short run to the existing fuel pump wiring to tap into.
installed in S3 (tufftys)
installed(S3).jpg

installed in a polo BT I built
polo-fuelpump-1.jpg

location of mounting is where existing fuel filter lives, which gets relocated up front into the line feeding to the fuel rail

i think that will be the way, the only thing now is that i have a fuel pump to get rid of which from what i understand works only on FWD cars...:crying:
After Easter i will try and replace the wiring between the the secondary and primary pump to see if that is why im getting no readings on my fuel indicator..!!!
Bill could you please PM me the details of that pump?
Thanks