Volks AutosChris Nott
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Pat
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    512

    Audi S3 Polybushes

    Well cars going into garage next week to have the bushes replaced, its done 110k now and things are getting tired..

    I`m trying to sort bushes out, its says on powerflex site that there are 2 sizes for the front wishbones.. 40 or 45mm, I found out mine are 40 so thats an easy one..

    There is only one listed for S3 for the Rear bush on Front Wishbone, is this right??? It does however say its for cast wishbone...

    http://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-d...Bush/1444.html

    is this correct one..

    Its just i have seen another bush listed on another site with different part number


    2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Pat
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    512
    Do all S3s have CAST wishbones???

    The other part number i found is for pressed steel wishbones..


    2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    11
    The part number for the front wishbone rear bush fitted to my S3 is PFF85-410.

  5. #4
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Do all S3s have CAST wishbones???

    The other part number i found is for pressed steel wishbones..
    Yes, early S3's/TT's had a smaller bush though... the later cars had larger ones to get over the 'handling problem' early TT's were blighted with...

    I would be less tempted to use the powerflex bushes in the rear of the wish bone as they can squash out over time... I have powerflex in the front of the wish bone and solid (non voided) OEM style ones for the rear of the wishbone... these work well and are cheaper...

    These are the ones I have:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130373426353

    Don't use ones that look like this though..
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=400079528741

    These have voids and make the front sloppy as hell..

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  6. #5
    Pat
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    512
    Splodge, the part number you listed is different to the one listed on the site... What reg is your car???


    2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

  7. #6
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    worcester
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Yes, early S3's/TT's had a smaller bush though... the later cars had larger ones to get over the 'handling problem' early TT's were blighted with...

    I would be less tempted to use the powerflex bushes in the rear of the wish bone as they can squash out over time... I have powerflex in the front of the wish bone and solid (non voided) OEM style ones for the rear of the wishbone... these work well and are cheaper...

    These are the ones I have:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130373426353

    Don't use ones that look like this though..
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=400079528741

    These have voids and make the front sloppy as hell..

    <tuffty/>
    when you say the rear of the wishbone do you mean the inner, i.e the subframe end of the wishbone? and you fitted poly's to the hub end of the wishbone, yes?

    what about the rears mate, are polys ok to use all round there, or do they suffer the same problems as the fronts?

  8. #7
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,578
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    when you say the rear of the wishbone do you mean the inner, i.e the subframe end of the wishbone? and you fitted poly's to the hub end of the wishbone, yes?

    what about the rears mate, are polys ok to use all round there, or do they suffer the same problems as the fronts?


    Poly's for No. 1 and the solid rubber ones for No. 2

    If you want to go hardcore, Vibratechnics do REALLY solid bushes but are about 50 each



    Not done the back on mine so can't really comment....

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  9. #8
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Splodge, the part number you listed is different to the one listed on the site... What reg is your car???
    My S3 is a 2000 (x reg) APY.

  10. #9
    Alex C's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lizard, Cornwall
    Posts
    2,602
    Tufty, in that diagram you posted the bottom bit shows the rear suspension. I assume #5 are the bushes that go on the rear tie arms. When people fit adjustable rear tie arms is it the upper or lower arm thats replaced?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

  11. #10
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookstein View Post
    Tufty, in that diagram you posted the bottom bit shows the rear suspension. I assume #5 are the bushes that go on the rear tie arms. When people fit adjustable rear tie arms is it the upper or lower arm thats replaced?
    There is a bit of debate about this tbh... I replaced the lower ones with my KW's but others have replaced the top ones...

    I can't speak for other makes of bar as I have only used KW's but while there shouldn't be any real difference I would imagine it would depend on how low you have lowered your car... the more you lower it the more negative camber etc you get (on the back of an A3/S3 quattro). the tie bars shorten or lengthen (depending if you fit them top or bottom) to pull the camber back in but can also load up or separate the CV joints a bit... you want to fit them so you use the least amount of adjustment to bring the camber back in or by the recommendation of the manufacturer of the tie bars of course...

    Main reason I fitted mine to the bottom is it would require the adjuster to be wound in rather than out meaning more of the adjuster would be inside the bars than out and technically less strain on that particular part of the tie bar... From an engineering point of view it seemed more sensible...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  12. #11
    Pat
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    512
    Right its number 2 i need... powerflex list PFF3-610 for the s3 BUT Splodge has listed PFF85-410

    So I`m guessing there are 2 sizes to choose from


    2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

  13. #12
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Right its number 2 i need... powerflex list PFF3-610 for the s3 BUT Splodge has listed PFF85-410

    So I`m guessing there are 2 sizes to choose from

    Not that I am aware of, only the front ones (No. 1) differed on S3/TT wishbones.... As said before, these have a habit of squeezing out which is why I use the solid rubber ones... compliance wise there is not much in it between solid rubber and the poly's IMO...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  14. #13
    S3Steve's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Right its number 2 i need... powerflex list PFF3-610 for the s3 BUT Splodge has listed PFF85-410

    So I`m guessing there are 2 sizes to choose from
    Ive got a full set of powerflex bushes sat waiting to be fitted in the next couple of weeks, the front wishbone bush i have is p/n PFF3-610. This better the be the correct bush after the the length ive time ive had to wait for them to be delivered, i will confirm 100% its the correct p/n after i fit them, im pretty confident i have the right bush.
    2007 A3 TDI 170 S Line
    Sold - 2002 S3

  15. #14
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    ive just commisioned a company to start making me the lateral arm bushes for the s3, etc made out of exactly the same material as powerflex for a fraction of the cost....the robbing t*ats

  16. #15
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    worcester
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    ive just commisioned a company to start making me the lateral arm bushes for the s3, etc made out of exactly the same material as powerflex for a fraction of the cost....the robbing t*ats
    will you be selling these on mate, if so what sorta prices? i do find powerflex expensive but theres not many alternatives and any alternatives are the in the same price range

  17. #16
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    will you be selling these on mate, if so what sorta prices? i do find powerflex expensive but theres not many alternatives and any alternatives are the in the same price range
    i certainly am, ive had them made for my other post adjustable stainless lateral arms but will sell seperatley too... around 10 a set so 40 full set (2 per side) ....against 70+ POWERFLEXES....In a cool blue too

  18. #17
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,578
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Steve View Post
    Ive got a full set of powerflex bushes sat waiting to be fitted in the next couple of weeks, the front wishbone bush i have is p/n PFF3-610. This better the be the correct bush after the the length ive time ive had to wait for them to be delivered, i will confirm 100% its the correct p/n after i fit them, im pretty confident i have the right bush.
    Powerflex had a fire in their factory which essentially trashed the whole business... they have started sorting themselves out again but lead time on bushes is understandably long as they have a lot of back orders to fulfill and they are making the tooling for bushes as they go along as these were pretty much destroyed in the fire too...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  19. #18
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    worcester
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    i certainly am, ive had them made for my other post adjustable stainless lateral arms but will sell seperatley too... around 10 a set so 40 full set (2 per side) ....against 70+ POWERFLEXES....In a cool blue too
    just for clarification using the diagram tuffty posted above, which ones can you provide?

  20. #19
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Powerflex had a fire in their factory which essentially trashed the whole business... they have started sorting themselves out again but lead time on bushes is understandably long as they have a lot of back orders to fulfill and they are making the tooling for bushes as they go along as these were pretty much destroyed in the fire too...

    <tuffty/>
    ?? i know about the fire .....still dont have to rip people off??
    ITS NUMBER 5 BUSH mine are available NOW

  21. #20
    Pat
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    512
    Thanks for all the replys guys, i`ve done what tuffty says and got 2 standard oem front rear ones.. the rest are all powerflex.. hopfully then it will then have a lil give in ride and not be too harsh... soon find out weds.. lol..

    Now its a case of saving up for rebuild..


    2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

  22. #21
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Thanks for all the replys guys, i`ve done what tuffty says and got 2 standard oem front rear ones.. the rest are all powerflex.. hopfully then it will then have a lil give in ride and not be too harsh... soon find out weds.. lol..

    Now its a case of saving up for rebuild..
    Did you get them from a dealer? Just make sure they are the non voided type... the others are rubbish and make the front end go all over the place under hard braking....

    When I bought my car one of the dealer reciepts that came with it was for bush replacement... turns out they fitted the wrong ones... (yeah, shocking I know for a dealer to get it wrong LOL)

    Bushes with voids in = bad, solid rubber = good.... ride quailty is fine

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  23. #22
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    worcester
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    ?? i know about the fire .....still dont have to rip people off??
    ITS NUMBER 5 BUSH mine are available NOW
    coolio, and you say are planning on getting the others made up, mainly bushes no. 4 & 1 because if so i would wait untill you get these done and have the whole lot off you, if not il just have the rear bushes for sure, cant resist at that price

  24. #23
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    coolio, and you say are planning on getting the others made up, mainly bushes no. 4 & 1 because if so i would wait untill you get these done and have the whole lot off you, if not il just have the rear bushes for sure, cant resist at that price
    i would need a firm order of 20 + to get the rest made up as tooling is not cheap to get them commissioned, as said i have done these mainly for the stainless adjustable lateral arms
    on a side note i can have these bushes made stiffer for the track if anybody is interested

  25. #24
    Mpathe's Avatar
    1st gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    394
    does anybody know if anyone sells the bushes that go in the rear hub for the tie bars to bolt to, as i think mine have had it. thanks mike

    o and s3steve have you stole my car while i havent been looking lol.
    09 white black edition a3 2.0 tdi 😃
    99 silver apy s3 - revo stage 2 mapped - relentless downpipe + sports cat - cat back milltek - fmic - piper x panel filter - silicone tip - forge 007 - vmaxx coilys - andy mac stealth sub - wilwood 4pots and r32 discs - h &r spacers - bbs ch wheels or std gunmetal grey alloys

  26. #25
    Ross_S4

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dundee
    Posts
    718
    Audi do.
    Believe the part number is 1J0505365N.

    This is a balljoint type, believe it changed to rubber bushings in 2003.
    Last edited by rossbrownlee; 4th April 2010 at 17:19.

  27. #26
    S3Steve's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpathe View Post
    s3steve have you stole my car while i havent been looking lol.
    Had mine for five years mate, so if ive stole yours its taken you a while to notice its missing lol.
    2007 A3 TDI 170 S Line
    Sold - 2002 S3

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO