fault code P0171 audi a3 1.8t

ricardo33

Reaction score
Hi All, engine management light came on today, i have found out the fault code is P0171.

I was going to remove the MAF sensor and clean it. any help on how to do this and what i should use.??

cheers

Hi All, engine management light came on today, i have found out the fault code is P0171.

I was going to remove the MAF sensor and clean it. any help on how to do this and what i should use.??

cheers

Check and follow the error solution
wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16555/P0171/000369

Reactions: Philkopite
It's not always the MAF that is at fault with this code, it could be vacuum leak that causes it to run lean, as per wiki link:

Check Intake System for Leaks
Check Exhaust System for Leaks
Check Secondary Air System for Leaks
Check Vacuum Pipes for Leaks

If you car is an AUM code (like mine) then it's likely to have a mass of vacuum hoses around the engine bay. Check them visually and have a feel for any splits, unfortuantely there's plenty of these hoses to look at and not all are easily accessible. Keep us all posted on how you get on...

thanks,

i will check all the hoses and see how i get on.

the throttle body and some hoses were replaced only two months ago??

any particular hoses to check and where are they located?? any pics.

thanks

Haven't got any pics but theres plenty under the inlet manifold that you can have a look at. Also, check vacuum hose on the top of the fuel pressure regulator, that's another one known to perish but the braiding on the hose makes it difficult to find leaks. Perhaps get some 3mm ID silicon hose and replace all the small hoses as the it'll cost you less than a tenner and last a lifetime.

If some hoses have already been replaced, it may be that others that weren't replaced have now perished? Have a good scout round buddy, it won't do any harm.

Hello I have been using this thread and other similar to try and trace the problems I've got with my 51 plate Audi s3 1.8t rev chip to 300bhp
i have found a few splits and rectified and replaced some of the pipes and a valve under the inlet manifold. These were put on rock tight but have still got a slight leak but no were near as bad as before and when taking the inlet manifold off I noticed there was no gasket is this right ?? As well there are some wires coming up in between the manifold so I couldn't take it out completely and just moved it to get to them? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hello I have been using this thread and other similar to try and trace the problems I've got with my 51 plate Audi s3 1.8t rev chip to 300bhp
i have found a few splits and rectified and replaced some of the pipes and a valve under the inlet manifold. These were put on rock tight but have still got a slight leak but no were near as bad as before and when taking the inlet manifold off I noticed there was no gasket is this right ?? As well there are some wires coming up in between the manifold so I couldn't take it out completely and just moved it to get to them? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi, welcome to ASN. Have. Read at the threads at the top of the page. You may find some info in there. Post pics of your car. Enjoy the forum. :)

deffinatly should be a gasket between the inlet and the head.
have you got this p0171 fault code? just keep looking for air leaks.

i have this code come up every now and again, for some reason it comes and goes, usually only comes up if i've driven a couple few hundred miles in one session, after a few days of driving around town it'll go again... has had me pretty stumped, guess i better start checking some hoses!