coil pack wiring harness?

Splodge

Reaction score
I replaced the spark plugs on my S3 (APY) yesterday and noticed that the insulation on the wiring to the coil packs was brittle and damaged. Went to local VW dealer to order replacement wiring loom and he suggested 2 differnet part numbers. 1J0 971 658 L and 1J0 971 658 M. I am now a little confused which part do I require or does it not really matter as i will be butchering the new wiring anyway.
Any help would be appreciated.

welly is the man you want to talk to about these mate, he's prob got the most experience with them

i went to audi to see if they could get a replacement and how much, i was told that for petrols they didnt do just the coil pack loom, you would have to buy that whole part of the wiring loom i.e one half of the entire loom for the car, didnt even ask how much that would cost lol

but, welly did find one in america, im sure it was only something like $40 unsure of shipping costs to uk, wouldnt be much though im sure

drop him a pm if he doesnt show his face, he'll sort you im sure ;)

Thanks for the reply. Just found a link to the ones in America. May have to order from there as the ones from the dealers are on back order anyway.

yer i was going to order one too but mine has been behaving itself the last few months so have left it, i think welly striped his insulation back and retaped all the wires seperatley so they couldnt short on each other, could be just as easy to do that mate, depending on how far back the damage goes

That might be an option. Not too sure how far back the damage has spread but several cores are damaged near to the coil pack plugs. Will strip insulation back and investigate further at the weekend. Car running fine at moment just want to sort it before any problems occur.

just heat sink them or wrap them up in insulation tape...simples.... make sure you put the heat shield back the way it was

Just to bump this to the top as i have just got the loom myself and 1J0 971 658 L is the loom without a oil level sensor and 1J0 971 658 M is one with a oil level sensor

Hi all,
My S38L (APY) has recently developed a misfire and I am pretty sure it is the coil pack but after investigating I noticed the usual harness decay, I was wonder if you could point me in the right direction. After looking on awesome web site there is 2 types 1 with oil level sensor and 1 without. Also did you have to splice this in to your loom.

Many Thanks in Advanced.

Matt

Reactions: SamHendry
Hi all,
My S38L (APY) has recently developed a misfire and I am pretty sure it is the coil pack but after investigating I noticed the usual harness decay, I was wonder if you could point me in the right direction. After looking on awesome web site there is 2 types 1 with oil level sensor and 1 without. Also did you have to splice this in to your loom.

Many Thanks in Advanced.

Matt

Buy the cheapest one (with or without the oil level sensor as it doesn't matter) and splice in

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/w3stys-progress-thread.119353/page-83#post-1726135

<tuffty/>

Reactions: SamHendry
Okay, thank you for the advice I will get the one without :).

Appreciate the help.