Audi S3 Engine troubles...

ekimyag

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time post here, any help is very much appreciated.

I am hoping some one could help me out with something. I have sezied up S3 and have been looking into options for getting it running again.

I have been offered a lower mileage AUM engine from a TT, the code for the current engine is APY, is this even possible? Could anyone tell me if it would cause any problems etc?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to the site

AUM is a 150ps TT engine. The engine itself will fit but you will have to use your turbo/mani's etc. You will also need to change the cam chain tensioner as the APY is not VVT while the AUM is.

Depending on what is damaged on your APY you could just use the block from the AUM and bolt your APY head on...

It should be noted that the AUM appears to have the 19mm gudgeon pins where as the APY has 20mm.... 20mm is stronger...

Check this out for more info in looking for a suitable donor
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?74563-1-8T-Info-Sheet

<tuffty/>

Cool thanks.

Would I need a remap if I just used the block and used the excisting Turbo and mani etc? If the AUM is 150ps and the APY is 210. Will that not cause problems?

Thanks again

No, what you are replacing is purely mechanical.... the power of an engine (in this case the APY vs AUM) is governed by ancillary components such as the turbo, injectors etc... as long as you just use the block then there will be no probs...

What year is the TT the engine is coming out of?

<tuffty/>

Correct me if im wrong but they dont do a 150ps TT, only 180 (KO3s turbo) and 210 - 225 (KO4 turbo)

I think the 2wd ones are 180bhp, same as a A3 and Golf facelift 1.8t

Correct me if im wrong but they dont do a 150ps TT, only 180 (KO3s turbo) and 210 - 225 (KO4 turbo)

would the fact the turbos are different not cause issues then? I understand the engine Lump just being purely mechanical. But if the AUM is used to getting lower power turbo?

a3 and golf 1.8T are 150 bhp. quattro a3 and anniverary golf are 180. there was a 150 bhp tt i think