CR K04 Stage 4 Hybrid, comparison to k04

260 bhp on vag com lol
haven't put it in a dyno but i do get wheelspin sometimes when the boost kicks in

260 bhp on vag com lol
haven't put it in a dyno but i do get wheelspin sometimes when the boost kicks in

i thought you sauid yours was the stage 1/2 TD unit.. as it drove only a little more than a stock k04, with 10% more airflow over a remapped k04 would manage..
yours did not drive like the stage 4 CR have done at all George.. boost would'nt hold up the revs like i expect the stage 4 CR unit to.. I wont be able to confirm this until I get to map steves s3 in a month or so..
be an interesting comparison when its done tho..

you sure yours was TD stage 4 unit?

Yes remember that green slip I gave you it was on there too

i remember the sheet but not the part number..
no way did it drive like a stage 4, it was only a little more airflow than a stock k04 and could'nt hold top end boost more than a k04..

weird

wonder if they sold you something and supplied another lower spec unit in error?

i remember the sheet but not the part number..
no way did it drive like a stage 4, it was only a little more airflow than a stock k04 and could'nt hold top end boost more than a k04..

weird

wonder if they sold you something and supplied another lower spec unit in error?

Bill, Martin Wright at TD says "It may also be worth checking the MAF sensor and boost control solenoid to make sure
there is not a problem with these".

Do you think There could be a problem?

Bill, Martin Wright at TD says "It may also be worth checking the MAF sensor and boost control solenoid to make sure

MAF could be under reading I suppose.

N75 (Boost Control Solenoid) will be OK I would think - generally they either work or they don't - not somewhere in between.

nope. i swapped to a known good maf when i did yours.. not a maf issue, and n75 working fine, just turbo is incapable of achieving the requested boost up top
you gained as much airflow from the JR cone filter I added, as the "hybrid" did, above the k04.

I find it hard to believe the internals that TD claimed are in what they sold you are actually the MD421. I dont remember your spec sheet part number, but always thought it was one of their mild just off k04 spec units, as it failed to flow much more than a regular k04 on yours. not having see it off th ecar i cant say, but it sure does'nt perform like a stage 4 CR one looks to, which is supposed to be the same spec as TDs MD421.

you see the pictures of the CR one in this thread.. does it look like yours do you remember?

See turbo dynamics have slashed there prices.

everyone expects companys to exaggerate a little bit, but rating it at "approx 340-360bhp" and its acctualy doing 260 is absolutely ridiculous, surely its false advertising

everyone expects companys to exaggerate a little bit, but rating it at "approx 340-360bhp" and its acctualy doing 260 is absolutely ridiculous, surely its false advertising

I only use Tesco 99 octane too ...

MD299 Stage 1 £825
MD212 Stage 2 £845
MD364 Stag3 3 £875
MD421 Stage 4 £999.95

outright purchase ones also, no exchange, is that right

I guess they had to reprice them when CR have been doing them for considerably less

you see the pictures of the CR one in this thread.. does it look like yours do you remember?

It was milled out. but not all the way up the intake like the CRT I should find the pictures and put them up.

Martin send me a email
"I can assure you once again that the turbo you have is a stage 4 MD421. Again,
if you feel there is a fault with the turbo, we will be more than happy to take
a look at it under warranty for you. Just let me know when it is ready and I
will have a courier collect it for you! "

Bill do you think its worth taking it of and sending it back to them?

Last edited:
Just got my email back from Alex fro AH Fab on pricing on the Intercooler so know all i have to do is wait until i get paid and then order it. Any news on when you will be getting your rollers Bill?

It was milled out. but not all the way up the intake like the CRT I should find the pictures and put them up.

Martin send me a email

have you asked martin why its advertised at 340-360bhp when it cant get anywhere near that?

Martin send me a email

Based on what you've said so far mate, and as long as you don't mind the hassle of doing so, I would.

I would as well if you say you have paid that much for it but get ready to spend more money once you get it back

rollers are beginning of may, however, i am likely moving premesis, which is likely to delay things a smidge

rr is'nt essential for me mapping it, but a nice to have

Martin send me a email

the boost it holds (or does'nt) the noise it makes compared to others i have heard is different, it does'nt flow much more than a regular k04, then its either not what its supposed to be by mystake or plain faulty.

for the money you have paid it should flow more than 220g/s airflow
i would get it checked if me.. its no where near their claimned figures... not by a mile

I know you were talking bill but if you get it fitted at the current shop i will be there it will only be a few days till i get payed and order the bits i need

Just fitted my AMK with a new head but now it turns out turbo's a goner. Found a new K04-022 direct replacement for £295 + shipping on ebay. I specificaly asked the seller is it brand new or a recon and he/they claim its new and comes with 3 months return to base warranty. Last time I checked some time ago I couldn't find anything cheaper than £500/600, where's the catch guys? It all seems too sweet to be true so I figured I'll give you a field first.

Many thanks!

*UPDATE* Found this bit of information on K04's: http://www31.brinkster.com/bmxp/K04-02x/Index.html

Last edited:
Bill looked at these when i was first looking at a new turbo and it turned out they were copies not originals so more than likely would not last that long. Depending on how bad your turbo is send it to CR and get them to rebuild it!

Well i finally got paid today so have been straight onto Paypal and ordered an Intercooler from Alex at AH Fabrication

Tempted by one of these hybrids along with perhaps a jbs manifold and 3" dp. Something for end of the year perhaps if the manifold is available.

Parts washer followed by a fine scotch abrasive mop... used the rings to clean out the ring grooves...

<tuffty/>

The pipes work out to be about to be just over 100 pounds when you add hose clamps aswell. The JBS manifold is tempting but i just wasnt willing to wait for it to come out before starting this