few more jobs ticked off the list

jonny87

Reaction score
well my mates boss has gone away for the week so made the most it by getting car on the ramp, nothing major to be done just trying to work my way through the 'things to do' list that i know everyone has lol

started by changing my springs as one of the rear one had snapped, bought a set of used >10mm springs off westle thinking 10mm would make a very subtle change in height over standard...

wrong!!!!

turns out they raised my car lol
not by much, 10mm maybe, but to me is noticable :( oh well not a major issue, had the **** ripped outta me by all who was watching it been put back on the deck, fu**ers :) im sure they will settle over time and look ok

whilst car was in the air and my mate was doing the springs i changed the gearbox oil, had ordered 3 litres of redline lightweight shockproof stuff (£13 ish a litre iirc opie oils) and so far am very impressed, gear changes a lot smoother when upto temp, done a bit of spirited driving on the way home and even when ramming home felt very slick, will have to wait to see what its like on a cold start

next was the rear diff oil, there was some debate on here a while ago as how to refill the rear diff as to be fair the fill plug is in a dumb *** position, some one said they thought you had to gain access through the boot pan some how etc anyway done this, easy peasy with a syringe, no hassle what so ever, think i used some fuchs oil (1 litre about £11 again from opie oils) to be fair the oil that came out didnt look too dirty, may have not been in there long but peace of mind now its done

whilst i was doing this my mate called me over and showed me my rear shocks, ******** aint the word lol
he compressed the shock and it was soooooooo sssllloooowwwwww to return, so lowering kit is in the pipeline me thinks (hence why im not so bothered about my 'raising springs' lol)

next was a general inspection of other suspension components, mainly bushes, rear bushes looking fairly good, front bushes ******** so will be replacing those soon, also noticed drivers side steering rack boot split and the rear wheel bearings have seen better days, not at a dangerous level of play but will only get worse, fronts were marginally better but not brilliant so will replace all of them at the same time

last job was to get computer plugged in as my airbag light had come on during the week, my mate tried clearing it but it came straight back, resistance levels too high, which says to me bad connection, read on here that connectors under drivers seat needing a clean can be the cause (it was drivers seat airbag that came up) but other than that no other codes, not even for my sai/n249 removal, i expected a improper flow signal from the sai seeing as its not there anymore lol

so yeah, that was about it for today, next weekend will be a busy one too, hoping my new brake setup will be here so will be fitting that and changing brake fluid too, then front bumper off, flush fmic through, clean all ic pipes fit new silicone boost hoses, clean throttle body out, fix headlight washer cap as its loose and headlight dipped beam drivers side seems to be loose so will investigate that too, awesome!!

sorry for the essay but it gives me a good feeling inside when i get stuff sorted on my car, much more satisfying than just handing keys over to a mechanic to sort (cheaper too lol)

sh*t, shower, shave then pub me thinks :)

I would be warey of the oil you put in your rear diff.
Its supposed to be a proper HALDEX oil, which is really thick, nearly a grease.

I would be warey of the oil you put in your rear diff.
Its supposed to be a proper HALDEX oil, which is really thick, nearly a grease.

You only have to put haldex oil in the haldex unit. the rear diff is separate and im sure most diff/gear lubricants would be fine.
Im sure somebody will correct if i am wrong.

You only have to put haldex oil in the haldex unit. the rear diff is separate and im sure most diff/gear lubricants would be fine.
Im sure somebody will correct if i am wrong.

correct a mundo, rear diff and haldex are two completley seperate items, each with their own oil
rear diff holds a litre
haldex holds something stupid like 0.6 of a litre or something like that

Is your steering rack ********? That's a bit of a a pain in the **** to replace, and the rack itself is pretty expensive to buy.

nah not ******** mate, just the drivers side boot, easy enough to do, could have done it today but couldnt find one in the garage that fitted :(