Audi a3 temp senor mabie

audia3turrbo

Reaction score
Hi guys,strange this one i have left my car running outside for 10 mins or so,i will come out and it will be just under 90 or mabie about 45.

When i give it a nice hard drive it will sit on 90 but if then i go to little roads back down to 45

what could this be and how can i find the problem

Thanks

Temp sender first as it's cheap and easy, then if that doesn't fix it it has to be thermostat, but the symptoms are the opposite of a stuck stat. If it's stuck open then it should reach temp idling, but drop on motorway.

Look down the length of the oil level dipstick, you'll see a sensor there. The sensor can be had from your nearest Audi dealer or ebay, just search for A3 temperature sensor.

hi guys whats the first thing i should change then,also today just noticed only one of my fans work i can spin one but the other feels like its rubbing on somthing,also dose it realy matter that my car is between 0-90 will this corse any efect on the car atall thanks guys

Can't help you on the fans as I know jack-poo about how they should work unfortunately, but I would change the temp sender first (easy 5 minute job) and failing that, change the thermostat (can be a pig of a job if you don't have the right tools). One thing I should have asked is have you had it scanned for any fault codes? If not, that would be a good starting point....

yes had it scanned when i had a remap and it said coolent sensor,but then when wiped it never come back,have had it for two months or so and still not come back do you recon this is the temp sender

I changed both, the temp sensor and the thermostat.

The thermostat controls the flow of coolant through the engine and it works by opening and closing depending on the coolant temperature.

Temp sensor tells the ECU and your dash the current coolant temperature.

Last edited:
And yes it does matter that the car thinks it is running cool as the ECU will adjust timing etc accordingly so your car will be running rich and can lead to idling issues and stalling.