Just need a few maintanance questions answering plz??

bp1984

Reaction score
Hi every1 im after a little help ive just bought a A3 1.8t 20v on a 1998 S reg, it has come with 175000 miles on clock, I know this is quite high but it drives mint. Its got full audi service history and had the cambelt done at 142000 miles wen would u recomend another cambelt change?? ive been told its also worth doing the water pump at same time?? its got receipts for a full valve replacement at sometime aswell but no date so if theres any other bits u guys could recomend will need doing plz let me no so i can keep it in top condition.

Welcome , easy on the text talk.

Just one Cambelt change?

Change it every 60,000 miles, so next one should be at 200-202,000 miles

Get a complete job with belt etc + water pump with metal impeller

It had the first cambelt change at just over 80,000 then it went to 142,000 so wasnt sure when the next one was due. What are the turbos like do they ever need replaceing after x amount of miles? Mine seems fine but i dont want it goin bang on me. Just one more thing is it worth me investing in a turbo timer? If yes any company recomondations?

To extend the life of the turbo get the car on standard service intervals (if it isn't already) and change the oil every 6-8k miles. The "longlife" oil they use on variable services will shorten the life of the turbo dramatically, you should see the state of it when draining, like black gloss paint, terrible stuff.

It had the first cambelt change at just over 80,000 then it went to 142,000 so wasnt sure when the next one was due. What are the turbos like do they ever need replaceing after x amount of miles? Mine seems fine but i dont want it goin bang on me. Just one more thing is it worth me investing in a turbo timer? If yes any company recomondations?
Turbo's usually reliable if looked after! changing oil regular helps, also not giving it welly untill oil temp is ok! and letting it idle for 30 secs before turning off! turbo timers waste of cash in my opinion,your turbo may have been replaced at some time? its doing well if on the original at 175k..that said! dont mean its going to go bang either, if you can get to it? take off top hose and feel with fingers( with engine off lol), pull up and down on the nut ontop of the wheel and left and right, see if theres any play! about 0.5mm side to side is about the limit as this will reduce when the oil is going through it! and about the same up and down movement, if it feels ok then at least your mind will be at ease!
Good luck with the car:icon_thumright:

Ive just checked through the endless receipts and i cant see no turbo change? Ill get the bonnet up this weekend to check the turbo for movement thanks for info.