Don't you just love the cold!

robthehungrymonkey

Reaction score
Have noticed on a few late night drives especially recently that my car seems to perform much better in the cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I know it should do, but didn't think it would make that much difference, is this only in my mind or have other people noticed? Or are the gains that great?

Anyone know of any way to quantify the difference the temperature makes to performance?

Either way, I'm happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Something to to do with air density I think, I will let someone more knowledgeable explain exactly whats going on, but its not all in you mind, don't worry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yup, Murdoch is correct, colder air = more dense air, so more power. Turbo cars are fitted with intercoolers to drop the temperature of the air just before the intakes, but when it's cold, the air is already cooler so more power.

Good to know, so in Winter when its Icy and driving conditions can be more risky my Car will go faster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That is due again to the density, the colder it is, the more fuel gets pumped into the engine. Same rule applies for normally apirated engines and turbo engines.

colder air > more dense > contains more water and oxygen >
can therefore burn more fuel in the combustion chamber