JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    imported_roydonaldson

Clutch sticking coming back up ?

Hi there,

Just had this as I came out the drive this morning. As I released the clutch pedal it would get about half way back up. If I flicked it with my foot, then it would come all the way back up, just seems to be a bit sticking with it coming back to it's start position.

Cars near 80k miles and due to get serviced. Would there be something that would need changed oil wise that would effect this ?

Thanks,
    Roy.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    Sounds like it could be the pedal itself?
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    What car is it?

If 2wd its possible its the peddle spring, or master cylinder, if 4wd add master cylinder to that list.

We had a TQS and found after going through all of the above options, it ended up being the slave cylinder, while it was cheap it was a pain to get to

imported_roydonaldson
    It's an S3, 2002 model.

6th Gear

Status
    if there is air in the system, it wont come all the way back up either

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    True Matt, i fond that if it was previously ok, then something has failed to allow it to suck air in, in our case we went throuugh the easier bits and they worked for a few days then it would go again, turned out to be the concentric slave, proper pain in the arse

imported_roydonaldson
    It's the S3, so it's 4WD.

Had the master cylinder replaced yesterday and fully bled. However, pedal is still sometimes only coming halfway up and then popping back up after a bit. So, kinda looks like there's still soething wrong ?

5th Gear

Status
    Something more basic,

There is a spring behind the clutch pedal. Checking the operation of that might be where I would start first. Process of elimination so to speak. Move to the master cylinder rod, clutch pedal assembly etc.

G

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    ^^ as above. Start with cheap and work up to expensive....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

2nd Gear

Status
    If youve changed the master cyl and brake fluid then 99% sure youre find its the slave cylinder box off sadly so may as well stick new clutch in at same time..

Neutral

Status

Smile

Hi,

Happened to me in my 1999 S3 , but happened on way home from work, stuck downa few times & flicked it back up with my foot, then RECOVERY TRUCK had to be called as the pedal snapped (on a stupidly busy up hill corner)... It's a little switch behind the clutch pedal... Can't remember how much exactly it was but wasn't expensive at all from audi , got a friend at audi to change it, bit fiddly but could probably do it yourself!!
    Last edited by nadine_s3; 21st May 2010 at 14:20.
    1999 S3 Imola Yellow - Bose, CD Changer, Sunroof, Heated Seats, Armrest.

Improved With :- 20mm Rear Spacers, Eibach Springs, New DV & MAF , New Dampers, Phatbox
    REVO !

www.nadinekellyphotography.com

Reverse Gear

Status
    yeah i had this same problem today and was reccomended a new flywheel and clutch and master cylinder (approx 900 all in fitted)mine was also vibrating and when on boost it was very difficult to get into gear and loud rattly gear changes (when eventually you are able to force it in) any suggestions?

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    moneys on it being your slave

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

5th Gear

Status
    Yep. Slave cylinder. Mine went end of last year, and took a couple of weeks of the pedal sometimes not coming back up for a few seconds until one day it just would not go into gear and stayed down all the time.

A phone call to Ed at APS Brackley, and three days later, with new slave & Master cylinders, and clutch, she was good as new for hopefully 80k+ more miles before it might happen again . Cost me 800 all in, including a lift home and back in an RS4!!

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.