Dodgy Idling - any ideas?

audison

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the forum and new to audi's... so new in fact that i don't actually have one yet! I've been running a 98 polo into the ground and was hoping to get it to its mot in june before selling/scrapping, but i'm being forced to buy earlier than i wanted due to a catalogue of faults and it's getting pretty unsafe to drive!

I've looked at a few a3s so far and found a nice 1.8 SE, but it hasn't had a cambelt change at 74k (certainly the first job and immediately!) and when i ran the engine it didn't idle properly until it started to warm up. It took about 2 or 3 mins and wavered between 900 and 1200 revs. Any ideas on what may cause this and how big a fault it could be?

Also, does anyone have any general tips on what to look out for?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Dirty/****** MAF sensor and/or dirty throttle body can cause this - at least in my experience.

Hooking it up to vag-com will help to diagnose this better...

Do you not have a better option in terms of a car to buy? Buying an Audi that has not been maintained is just asking for problems.

I have seen a couple of others which i will go look at, but i do need to move pretty swiftly. I'm looking for an a3 around 3 and 4 grand, so if you see anything decent post it up and i'll have a look.

Thanks for the response.