A busy weekend of working on the motor....

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Evening all, and what a beautiful day it has been down in sunny Gloucestershire...

I have had a most productive day today, and have sorted many many issues tat have been bugging me for a while.

Went up to Tetbury Audi to pick up my new window regulator clips, anti roll bar bushes and my clutch pedal switch yesterday, so decided to shake off the SAVAGE red wine hangover this morning by working on the car today.

First on the list - ARB bushes. Off side - easy. Near side - what a pig!! The bracket goes right round the back and holds a clip for the power steering pipes. What fun.... Anyway, got them all done. Haven't test driven to see if it's solved my annoying clunking issue yet, but fingers crossed. If not then it's something else that I know it's not!

Then I moved on to the clutch pedal switch. This has been the cause of my car keeping the revs when changing gear, and my cruise control not working. What an easy job. Under steering wheel panel off - switch changed. Job done.

So - by this time I was bored of working with the spanners, so moved to my weekend clean.

I broke out my new de-bobbler (as introduced to me by Tuffty :icon_thumright:). I de-bobbled all of my seats, which had 125k's worth of bobbles. That may of taken a while.... Looks a million times better now though. I need to get a steam cleaner to clean the seats now, and the interior will be sweet.

So, I then gave the car a full valet. All clean :).

Bored again now, I whipped the 4 rings and chrome surround off the grille and painted them anthracite. Didn't want to go with black because I wanted them to stand out a bit. Not sure on this, and may re-paint in matt black.

So then I whipped the mirror covers off and did them in matt black. The drivers one got hit the other day and had a crack in it, which is the main reason for painting them. A bit of Isopon both sides, a sand and several coats of black paint gave me the desired effect.

Mirrors now match my matt black wheels :). I went for matt black to be different. Chrome would of been nice, but the S3 has a very yellow and black theme so I thought I'd stick with it. Looks good I think.

A few photos of my hard days work today:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Let me know your thoughts good peoples.....

I think it looks like a productive day for sure!.

Bit undecided on the mirrors though...I think they would look better gloss?

looks good, going to look like im copying your ideas when i get my car back from bodyshop, im having black grill and mirrors lol, i have had the plans before seeing this though, great minds and all :icon_thumright:

...I broke out my new de-bobbler (as introduced to me by Tuffty :icon_thumright:). I de-bobbled all of my seats, which had 125k's worth of bobbles. That may of taken a while.... Looks a million times better now though. I need to get a steam cleaner to clean the seats now, and the interior will be sweet.

D00de... don't steam clean alcantara... the fibres will just fall out and it will ruin it...

Use a weak mix of something like Maguires all purpose cleaner, spray it on a micro fibre cloth and wipe... don't soak the cloth at all... repeat this a few times and it should all come up clean...

You have to be real careful with alcantara mate...

<tuffty/>

D00de... don't steam clean alcantara... the fibres will just fall out and it will ruin it...

Use a weak mix of something like Maguires all purpose cleaner, spray it on a micro fibre cloth and wipe... don't soak the cloth at all... repeat this a few times and it should all come up clean...

You have to be real careful with alcantara mate...

<tuffty/>

Good advice there dude - loving your work. I didn't actually mean a steam cleaner, what I meant was one of those Vax wet vac things.... But by the sounds of things, thats a no no also.

nice work mate. I got that buzz today.

Changed front shocks, both top strut mounts, both front wheel bearings, and dcatted car. Then a clean... Started at 11am and finished at 7pm... Was very productive...

Not sure on the mirrors, matt black makes them look like there unpainted black plastic. Has the clunking gone away? I like the de-chromed surround but I think I would of kept the rings chrome