spark plug replacement

bora11

Reaction score
Hi could any one point me to a link on how to replace the spark plugs on a 1999 s3 many thanks in advance.

Take off the engine cover and you'll see four plastic rectangles each with a cable running to it. Undo the metal retaining clips on the back or each one and they should just lift out. The spark plug is in the bottom of the resulting hole! You'll need quite a long plug wrench to get them out - had to borrow one from my old man's 540i.

And in true Haynes style "Refitting is the reverse of removal."

Hope that helps, it's a pretty simple job really and you should be able to see what's going on once you're under the bonnet.

Without trying to sound too condescending, If you need a link to show you how to replace your plugs you shouldnt be doing them yourself.
If you use the incorrect tool, you can easily snap the ceramic, Can easily be crossthreaded or left too loose.

However if you need to do them yourself, you'll need a screwdriver to remove the engine cover.
10mm socket to remove the vac chamber over no'4 coil.
and a 14mm plug socket with an extension bar.. roughly 12". The rest is pretty straight forward.