S3 Prices & anyone thinking of selling soon?

paul_b

Reaction score
I might be after a nice mint, low (pref. sub 80k) mileage S3 in a couple of weeks time, would want a facelift car (2001/2002) with 18 inch wheels, silver mirrors and prefer black, red or Nogaro. Remap and suspension/brake mods OK. How much should I be looking at?
Some of the dealer prices on Autotrader are ridiculous for nearly 10 year old cars, so would rather buy private.

Hi Paul,

Sub 80k + Remap + Silver mirrors + Sort-after colours

You'll have to pay premium

Prices are high, the S3 is a sought after car im afraid.

Having recently purchased Id say your looking 6 - 7 K for what you want private sale, that would be a reasonable price, but youll find cars with that spec around 100K at that price too. I paid 6400 which is a little more than I should but I was happy to do so as the seller had owned the car from new and I had history an inch thick including the original receipt for the new car. If your near to 80K and the camblet hasnt been done its a fair ask to knock £400 off the asking price as it will need doing straight away.

Personally I wouldnt touch a pre-modded car, just dont know how its been driven, may have been track raced a heap of times.

Main piece of advice, dont rush it, its worth waiting for a good one.

Hope this helps a bit

http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4727&title=for-sale2003-audi-s3&cat=20

Prices are high, the S3 is a sought after car im afraid.

Having recently purchased Id say your looking 6 - 7 K for what you want private sale, that would be a reasonable price, but youll find cars with that spec around 100K at that price too. I paid 6400 which is a little more than I should but I was happy to do so as the seller had owned the car from new and I had history an inch thick including the original receipt for the new car. If your near to 80K and the camblet hasnt been done its a fair ask to knock £400 off the asking price as it will need doing straight away.

Personally I wouldnt touch a pre-modded car, just dont know how its been driven, may have been track raced a heap of times.

Main piece of advice, dont rush it, its worth waiting for a good one.

Hope this helps a bit

You do not need a remap to thrash an S3.........

Last edited:
Up to £6500 seems reasonable. But for 9k I would rather shell out a bit more and get a much newer Golf Mk5 GTi, Focus ST or Impreza etc. Not in a great rush so will see whats out there.

the cheaper you buy one for, the higher the chance you'll spend more getting it up to scratch

the mk5 golf wont be the bigger 2.0T turbo so you'll have a slower car and no quattro, the focus sounds lovely but is pathetic considering it has a 2.5ltr turbo'd engine (also quality issues as its made of chocolate)....impreza? erm totally different car altogether

the S3 is not the fastest car on the planet, but for the price your looking at.....there is nothing else with the same amount of toys, power and traction out there - fact

Your right, but that wasnt my point, a car that is untouched I would think its fair to say has less chance of anything engine wise having been over stressed. Afterall, we dont remap just for the heck of it do we?

Other mods, there could be questions over the quality of work, set up, hidden use..surely it better to start with a blank canvass?

exactly mines been modded slighty and my car has never been taken above 6000rpm, gets warmed up and cooled down properly evertime its used which isn't much ive covered roughly 1000 miles in the last year not all modded cars are ragged.

i agree with Martin, you dont put a map on your car if you dont intend using it, but the opposite argument is that the car has been properly looked after like most enthusiasts on here.....

most of us replace parts for the hell of it :)

The fact is, 8L S3 prices are on the up this year compared to last, ok, maybe not upwards, but they are steady at least.... how many 'I'm after an S3' threads have we seen this year alone?! More than 'I'm thinking of selling up' I tell you.

agree with Jojo, although the prices were artificially low due to the market last year, some cars seem to have increased in value when in actual fact they were never that low - it was only your private buyers dropping prices to gain interest - sure the books recorded 'hits' on most cars including the S3.....but nowhere near as much as private sellers prices which is reflective in the dealer costs

Mine is a bog standard Nogaro Blue 2001 facelift, but has done 113,000. It's up for £5,975.

My car has full silicone hoses,TIP,miltek,remap,and a liquid gauge,and i do less than 15miles a week.. gets cleaned and serviced when ever,and isnt abused...

Its silly things i look for when buying a car,EG tyres!!! I have a full set of Eagle F1 boots,if i was going to view/buy a car that means alot me me. If a car has Nankang ditch finders,means the owner doesnt really wanna spend cash on it where it matters,and is happier for a cheap fix.. Mabye just me,but always been my thoughts... Anyone can spend a day "cleaning" a car to make it nice,its the little things that make a differance..

Pete...

Wonder how much my 35k one would go for? I quite fancy something with a V8 lol.

theres an s3 with 53k on pistonheads thats up for 12k mate

im thinking bout selling to get a v8 rs6 as someone keeps nagging me to sell him my s3 lol

I considered an RS6 but doubt it would fit in the garage lol, that and the fact they have some common faults which can cost the earth. That said revo = 500bhp and 500lbs.

i never considered the garage that same thought of 500bhp and the noise from that v8 was the only thing on my mind lol
i better check that before i commit myself to buying one are the b5 rs4 the same length as the rs6? seen afew nice examples on my search

just been looking at s3 prices they have seemed to have gone up slightly some exaggerated prices about though

RS6
Length 4852 mm
Width 1992 mm
Height 1425 mm
Weight 1865 kg

RS4
Length 4525 mm
Width 1848 mm
Height 1400 mm
Weight 1620 kg

As you can see the RS6 is a beast....or boat....one of the two.

Ahem
untitled-1.jpg

Nagaro Blue ? and different pairs of tyres ? mmm and 'sensible offers only' my car was on 50k five years ago and was 16k from a stealer with warranty,roadside and gap insurance for 4 years

Wants 11k but can not be bothered to write a decent and informative AD

I'd take that RS4, thanks

Given the choices I would go for the rs4 any day.

Just getting back to prices, I paid £8.5k for my 2003 S3 a couple of months ago. Private sale from another forum member. 76k miles, full history, full uprated suspension overhaul inc. sway bars, stage 1 remap plus loads of factory extras.

Also, would love an RS4 :hubbahubba:

If you get one, youd want one with its handling sorted as that can cost well over a grand.

Prices are on the up....hehe maybe why im keeping mine like it was in the showroom ;) any collectors out there???

Back to the point about buying, with mods. I take the point some modders are enthusiasts and hence the car 'could' be better looked after than a bog standard but its a matter of odds and the odds arent sliding a modded cars way tbh. Its a personal choice and I just stated mine ;)

Prices, they are high on some S3s, stretch a couple more grand in some cases and you can pick up a 90K RS4 wft?? what is it about the S3? i was recently surprised by two of my close friends who both own scoobies, both STi's one a PPP, both looked at my car when i got it and commented they they would like one, even to the point of checking a few out. I may name the car 'Mary' as it seems there is something about her.

s3gav, are you 'sure' your car has never been over 6000rpm?? ;)

As has been discussed many many times before lol scoobies and S3's are different cars. IMO the S3 is much nicer as an everyday so I dont blame them.

Like with most cars if you buy old you can pick up quite a car but it is old and when they gone wrong...they go wrong. I was looking at a 4.5 Cerbera...Seeing if I could afford it while keeping the S3. 0-60 3.9 and 195mph for £12k and upwards...Now thats alot of bang for buck...that you could use once before it broke.

martin im positive mate even if i was racing another car,
a standard k04 is out of puff by then your pretty much wasting your time going over 6k

yup agreed, S3 is pointless after 5500-6000k, you need to learn to torque shift if your going above 6k

took me about a month to get used to this car after swapping the A3 as you assume you have to thrash them to get the power down - people think im belittling them when i say they need to learn to drive these cars

on the RS4 front ive done the looking, its the cost of ancillaries thats put me off - £450 for front discs trade from Audi :O