S3 Front ARB bushes fitment

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Hiiiiii

Just got around to doing my front ARB bushes, the Audi chap gave me two brackets and two bushes - he mentioned the brackets were modified

anyway...got the car jacked up passenger side first, nice easy access to the 13mm nut holding the bracket on - straight away i noticed this side had an extension to the bracket which holds what i think is an oil pipe - anyway, undo the nut then use the jack to pump up the wishbone, this will release the bottom part of the bracket....you will then need to reach down into the engine bay to undo the nut holding the oil pipe, again 13mm - this will make refitment easier, you then need to push new bush into place and mount the bracket - you'll have to let the jack down so the bracket can re-engage at the bottom, then prob jack it up again to allow the top of the bracket to close so the nut can be replaced - reach back into the engine and refit the oil pipe bracket to the ARB bracket...and your done

as the brackets the dealer gave me were different i wasnt sure if to leave the oil pipe unattached on the other side or not so i refitted using the old bracket and new bush.....

For the drivers side, the dealer brackets were exactly the same so i replaced both the bracket and the bush, this was far easier and required only undoing the nut and removing the old items, worst part was adjusting the jack on the wishbone to allow the new bracket to re-engage - basically the same instructions without an oil pipe to fanny about with

ive prob gone into war and peace here cos i was too lazy to take pics...any questions just ask....safe to say these were far easier than the rear ARB bushes

Tim

think that could be power steering pipe you talk off. Ensure you re-attch it i ve had a couple of problems in the past with the power steering pipes.

cheers Matt, the pipes come from that area and are heading towards the front of the engine bay passenger side...theres two, but only one is attached to the bracket

safe to say i refitted mine with the old bracket to be safe ;)

Another thread hijack in progress....

My mot MOT adversary says that my suspension gaiters are worn, wtf are they and would I need to get a CV joint?

erm its either your CV boot (you prob wont need a CV joint itself unless the items worn)....OR the front wishbone bushes perhaps

Ive been meaning to change my bushes.. cheers for the headsup on the brackets.
Was the passenger side bracket not needed then?.

well i assume you would buy the special bracket for the passenger....to be fair you could just use whats already on, i would have if i hadnt already bought them.... side by side there were no visible differences

the easiest way to do them i found was to just drop the subframe take rear dog bone mount off ,two ball joints off, 2 drop links, and then 4 subframe bolts and 4 stearing rack bolts and i always change the brackets

if you have dropped the subframe then you have done far too much work and also possibly dropped your doors a little.... it really is a simple job when compared to many others.... single bolt and aligning them up by jacking the susp arms, its simple

It is even simpler than that. No need to mess about with jacking the wishbone up and down. Just get both wheels off and the car on axle stands, then there is no load on the Anti-roll bar. Undoing the drop link nut and ARB bush brackets is then very easy, so is lining up all the brackets on re-assembly.

yup agreed but i had a slant on the driveway which is why i didnt wack two stands under it ;)