1.8t tuning?

sulphur

Reaction score
Evenin' all.

Signed up on behalf of a mate who has no net. He owns a 1999 1.8t a3, and is looking to throw some cash it's way to get more power out of it. It's all std apart from a carbonio induction kit, and a dump valve. All he's planned so far is a revo remap. Although, we were both wondering what this thing called the "3 pipe mod" is? Something to do with the exhaust valves?
What exactly is this mod, and is it a DIY job? More to the point, how costly?

Also, other than those two mods what else would need doing to see a nice 240bhp? From what we've researched, the remap, 3 pipe mod and an exhaust system should see 210ish? How would a k04 turbo go along with the mods mentioned?

Cheers in advance fellas:icon_thumright:

all depends how much he wants to throw at it..... he wont break 200bhp with a KO3 turbo though and thats most likely what he has

the 3" pipe is the downpipe, which is the pipe from the turbo including the cat - apparently this is the single biggest restriction on the A3.... im currently sorting outr my misus new A3. Mods include 2.5" downpipe and 200cell cat, forge 007p dv, air box definned, front mount intercooler, catch can to do away with some of the pipework under the engine - this is going on a 2000 A3 with a KO3s turbo which is a direct repalcement for your friends and will defo get you more power - a KO4 upgrade would certainly cost a lot more to do

so far the the mods stanbd me at

Front mount £230 (made own kit from ebay parts)
Downpipe £150 (although £450 new!) i fell lucxky as a forum member was selling one
FOrge DV £70
Catch can £85
Secondary air pump breather £6
New performance panel filter £40

I would always suggest you do a full service too before touching a map, plugs, oil, filters etc etc

hope this helps and welcome

Tim

3" pipe mod is a new one on me
remap to 190-195bhp is the start
k03s, or hybrid there after... the slippery slope becons

Thanks for the info. He's just had a full service, along with cambelt, water pump, s3 discs and calipers, and a few other replacement parts. So if he were to start the 'modding' now, where would you recommend starting?
We figured to get all the uprated parts on first, before he goes for the revo map. I'm guessing we start with the downpipe and exhaust, the the k03s turbo, then the map? As said, he's already got a blitz or forge DV, and the carbonio induction.

So with the downpipe, k03s and existing mods, would that equate to a stage 2 revo map? What power should he get from that?

Thanks fellas!

You could get a custom remap too, which maybe better than a generic remap, althought to make the most use of out the k03s youd want a fmic, as youll be running high boost to get 220bhp which is what the average bhp for this turbo is. some companys may say therell get it to 240bhp. but therell test it on a dyno, and the bhp want be accurate.

Can anyone recommend where to get the downpipe from? And a fmic too? Are they available from somewhere as a kit, including pipework etc?

Awesome!! Thanks alot for the help lads! Just a few more questions really, when getting a revo map, albeit stage 1 or 2, is it possible to have 2 maps and have a boost controller on the dash? Like 0.6bar low boost, and 1bar high. Or is it not really worth it? He's considering this for economy really, low boost map for commuting and a high boost map for 'fun'. lol

downpipe is an easy thing to find, its the price that may put you off - personally i wouldnt want to trust anything other than the likes of miltek for exhaust equipment as im a great beleiver that you get what you pay for

FMIC.... i have just sourced my pipework and FMIC seperately, the intercooler from Toyosport.com and the pipe work from Mr silicone off ebay...total cost is approx £230 - that said you can buy a turborevs kit off ebay for £190 ish which is by all accounts a really good kit - we wanted ours to be more stealthy though which is why i opted for more custom ..... the £230 includes heat resistant spray and various other 'nice to haves' to make a stealthy install

i will post my build thread next week with pics hopefully :)

Awesome!! Thanks alot for the help lads! Just a few more questions really, when getting a revo map, albeit stage 1 or 2, is it possible to have 2 maps and have a boost controller on the dash? Like 0.6bar low boost, and 1bar high. Or is it not really worth it? He's considering this for economy really, low boost map for commuting and a high boost map for 'fun'. lol

It's possible, but doensn't come cheap. APR tuning do one that works from the cruise control stalk - set you back around £450 IIRC

EDIT: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=10591 Slightly more than £450!

Last edited:

not sure if they do one, but economy should be better anyway when your not using the loud peddle ;)

It's possible, but doensn't come cheap. APR tuning do one that works from the cruise control stalk - set you back around £450 IIRC

EDIT: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=10591 Slightly more than £450!

Wow! Certainly not worth it for that cash really, unless he was tuning towards silly amounts of power.

I'm pretty certain he'll be happy enough with a constant 220-240bhp with all the mods mentioned, starting with the downpipe I think. He said he'll be looking for that this coming week, then getting all the parts together before he gets it mapped.

once you have it all together id suggest a custom stage 2 map too to take full advantage of all the mods - we're likely to go with R-tech but also consdiering custom code (not sure they are fully custom yet)

Just been thinking, above you guys said he won't see 200bhp on the standard k03 turbo..so are downpipes interchangable between the k03 and the k03s turbos? No point buying one for the k03 if he's going to upgrade the turbo later anyway..right?

Wouldn't bother... if you drive off boost most of the time economy will be fine, in some cases better than OEM... I have a GT30 big turbo conversion currently putting out over 380bhp, I average 24mpg and thats country lanes, town driving and up long hills (as I live in the sticks)

Just been thinking, above you guys said he won't see 200bhp on the standard k03 turbo..so are downpipes interchangable between the k03 and the k03s turbos? No point buying one for the k03 if he's going to upgrade the turbo later anyway..right?

Yes, K03 and K03s are interchangable... I would be tempted to get a stage 1 Revo map on your current setup first, save for the K03s/DP and FMIC fitting the K03s and DP last then get a Revo stage 2 as they are only £50 more as an upgrade. If you go stage 2 before fitting the K03s then you may be charged again... Check with your tuner first as I am not sure if the maps are different for K03 and K03s from Revo... I'll ask Bill if I remember.

<tuffty/>

if he hasnt got a re-circling one then hell need to get one of them as they work the best, forge 077 is the one most people advice.

The best money you can spend on an A3 is decent suspension and a set of uprated anti roll bars (no rear one as standard!)....it makes it much better to drive IMO.

I did al lmy suspension work before upping the power and it was more worth while than the remap.

Has he got a budget at all? Or is he more curious, like i was! only went as far as getting my braking sorted !

Budget, not really. He's not wanting to go silly power, but he's got too used to the 150bhp. Ideally he wants s3 power, maybe slightly more. I reckon he'll throw about 1k at it, but as it's a daily and a family car he won't want to sacrifice any comfort.

Anti roll bars are something I've mentioned to him, as well as uprated springs with maybe a 30mm drop, although see above...he's not all for it thinking he'll end up with a harsh ride. His brakes have been done, don't know what's fitted now but bigger callipers and bigger mintex discs and pads.

Referring to the DV, it's definetley not a re-circling one, 'cos it's got a loud 'hsshhhh' when let off throttle. Sounds like darth vader sneezing. lol

I have a Wietec Ultra GT spring and shock kit on mine...-40mm drop and its smooth as standard but it actually goes around corners now. The antiroll bars dont make the ride harsh...just keep it level and balanced around the bends.

Best money I spent on my car by a long way.

Budget, not really. He's not wanting to go silly power, but he's got too used to the 150bhp. Ideally he wants s3 power, maybe slightly more. I reckon he'll throw about 1k at it, but as it's a daily and a family car he won't want to sacrifice any comfort.

Anti roll bars are something I've mentioned to him, as well as uprated springs with maybe a 30mm drop, although see above...he's not all for it thinking he'll end up with a harsh ride. His brakes have been done, don't know what's fitted now but bigger callipers and bigger mintex discs and pads.

Referring to the DV, it's definetley not a re-circling one, 'cos it's got a loud 'hsshhhh' when let off throttle. Sounds like darth vader sneezing. lol

he needs to get a recirculating DV as this engine doesnt like the Psssst's :)

for 1k he's not gonna get S3 power or traction, what he could get is the KO3s and maybe a map and a few bits (possibly DP)..... that said when i looked around for where to map our A3, ive settled on a smooth map as opposed to REvo, reason being with the A3 being 2wd and us aiming for around the 220-230bhp mark...it aint gonna stick when the Revo spikes

two ways he can do it, map it and enjoy...then keep adding bits then pay for another map (or £50 for the Revo stage2)...... or add everything now and map it - the latter is what we're doing as i dont want the Revo on it as traction WILL be an issue

Tim