Stainless Steel Adjustable Rear Tie Arms Update

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
Hi guys, im thinking of manufacturing these, if i get enough interest, im a stainless steel fabricator and been in the profession 22 years so the build quality will be second to none, this is my company www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
im anticipating these will work out at around £150 for the pair delivered inc a contribution to audi-sport.net, (i will talk to a mod) so this is a considerable saving for you guys, and will be guaranteed for life! :icon_thumright:
Regards Dave.

Reactions: mrj0ey
Westle im the same mate, cant come to part with 250 notes just for arms.

I'll be in for this dave, aslong as they as good a quality as forge etc etc ill take a pair.

put me down for a set if the quality is as good as forge etc.

if they are the quality you say they will be i will take a pair been wanting some for a while now.

tom

isnt stainless better than mild steel both in weight and strength? (from my engineering days)

1animal1 said:
isnt stainless better than mild steel both in weight and strength? (from my engineering days)
Miles better Tim

THANKS FOR THE INTEREST GUYS

Im thinking of manufacturing a set then bring them to the pod in april for all to see the quality?......is it a plan?
i would need 10 definates then i will start manufacturing them, anything else you may think would benefit in stainless let me know, these will be tested for fatigue on a test bed by the way so you can be assured of the quality,
regards dave

Dave thats a great plan mate, there are currently 29 8Ls on the list on our stand. It's a few weeks away, so get the initial set built and tested and i recon you are onto a winner

Well im defo in mate.

Aww i wana go to pod but my car still needs fixing, well should i say spraying etc :(

Well i could go but the paint work still hasnt been done from the crash and its embarasing really lol

When in april is pod then? We got a stand etc?

Dan, i still think your car will put mine to shame, you are welcome to come. Paint it in Dulux gloss for all we care mate, an enthusiast is an enthusiast,simples

Haha whys that mate? You havent had a smash have you?

I would also be very interested in these tie bars! I don't see me making it to pod as its a hell of a treck from the south! let us know when you have some! if you could get it sub £150 that would be amazing too :)

I'm interested in these too. The thought of paying £250 hurts me so if you could do these for £150 or less I will definitely take a pair!! Nice work.

i'd be intrested in these to, if someone could post them to me..

I am very interested, have you thought of making some from cutting down some genuine ones and fitting a adjuster (shouldn't cost much in parts and labour). I am not a massive fan of 'shiny for shiny sake' and if you can undercut the big boys massively I think you will have loads of takers!!

Keep us posted

I am very interested, have you thought of making some from cutting down some genuine ones and fitting a adjuster (shouldn't cost much in parts and labour). I am not a massive fan of 'shiny for shiny sake' and if you can undercut the big boys massively I think you will have loads of takers!!

Keep us posted

Its not shiney for shineys sake as these will not corrode
cheers, dave

Nice one, this is looking very good, so as said i will bring some to the pod, proberbly around 10 pairs, you do not have to buy them there and then, i want everybody to see the quality of them, any body who wants a pair thats not going, can wait for feedback from the buyers, or if needed sooner let me know,:icon_thumright:

Do you think you will get the strength out of the stainless steel? Especially around the adjuster?

The forces must be pretty big considering the cross section of the original bars, wouldn't HT be a safer bet??

Just thought i would ask the question, certainly not trying to put you off

Do you think you will get the strength out of the stainless steel? Especially around the adjuster?

The forces must be pretty big considering the cross section of the original bars, wouldn't HT be a safer bet??

Just thought i would ask the question, certainly not trying to put you off

Hi There, While HT steel is indeed very strong it likes to be under load all the time, like a cylinder head bolt, while this is good the shear properties are not good its very hard to machine and is even worse to weld, as it alters the characteristics of the metal wildly,and can crack right down the centre of a weld,
i am going to use this in 30mm....it will be cold worked for added strength too :icon_thumright:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

regards dave

Type 303 is "18-8" chromium-nickel stainless steel modified by the addition of selenium or sulphur, as well as phosphorus, to improve machinability and non- seizing properties. It is the most readily machinable of all the chromium-nickel arades and has good corrosion resistance It is non-magnetic in the annealed condition and not hardenable by heat treatment. Tensile strength and hardness can be increased by cold working. It is manufactured by the electric-furnace process and meets the exacting requirements of the aircraft industry.

UNS S30300. S30323

Last edited:
If we still had the TQS i would have gone as a guinea pig for you.

I recon its worth making some and testing to destruction to prove the point. As some of the main brands have had snappage issues in the past.

Good luck, see you at Spring festival

Dave,

You know your stuff.. and it sounds good to me..

Look forward to seeing the finished product, I certainly will be looking with great interest.

Yeeah, at last lol.

You doing it by text or email mate?