Burning oil and smoking

hillary2005

Reaction score
Hi, I swapped my Civic for an S3 with a rebuilt forged engine last week

but......

its burning oil and there is a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust when going over say 2500-3000 rpm

It seems to be boosting and running fine. Is it true that it will burna little oil due to the forged engine?

Has anyone got any idea what the cause of the blue smoke could be? Anything I could check etc?

I've never owned a VAG car and never owned anything with a turbo so I'm pretty new to all this so sorry for all the questions

Cheers James

when was it rebuilt and do you know how it was run in?

It shouldnt be smoking or burning oil to that degree, have you done a compression test on it? That could show if its letting oil past the piston rings and may explain the smoke, or it could be your turbo is on the way out, either way it's not right so fingers crossed you can sort it.

I suppose it could be turbo related as that rev band is around where the turbo starts to boost..

Assuming the rings are intact the bores could have glazed over due to a poor running in proceedure.

What was included in this rebuild do you know? Pistons,rings, shells, rods etc

JE pistons and IE rods

It does seem worse under boost :/

hmm....time to get it checked

Hi, do you know if its had an uprated oil pump? if the pump produces significantly more pressure than the standard pump, sometimes it forces some oil past the turbine oil seals! was it a new turbo also? may just have a turbo thats past its best??
ATB Lee

Thats a thought, what turbo is fitted?

GT series turbos need an oil restrictor fitted to prevent oil blowing past the sealing rings

Its only a standard turbo and standard oil pump

How much are we talking for a new turbo?

Last edited:
Its only a standard turbo and standard oil pump

How much are we talking for a new turbo?
just get yours re-coned, take the down pipe off so you can see inside the turbine housing, you need to look or get something in there near the turbine wheel to see if theres damp oily soot type stuff (technical term lol) if its dry just usual black baked on stuff turbo should be ok? well seals anyway! if its damp then thats the problem! when turbo is under load if theres any wear on the thrust bearing? the shaft lifts slightly, just enough to stop it sealing! hence the blue smoke under boost as oil passes! prob looking at £300-£400 for an exchange service!
Good luck pal keep us up to date..
ATB Lee:icon_thumright: