a3 to s3 brakes

Kave

Reaction score
Are the 1.8t and 1.9tdi brakes 288mm?

Are the s3 312mm callipers with carriers a straight swap?

apparently they are a straight swap, unsure of the sizes though...i had 323mm for the S3 in my head for some reason

You just need S3/TT carriers as the calipers are the same and 312mm (5x100) S3/TT discs.

323mm discs are for the Leon Cupra :)

<tuffty/>

like tufty said, you just need s3/tt 312mm carriers and discs you can use your existing calipers and pads!

i did this, is a really easy and a worth while mod!

Be aware if you have a 1.6 or TDi you prob have 280mm discs and the hub carrier is a different setup. This difference prevents you from being able to swap the S3 carriers without swapping the hub carrier to one from a 1.8T

I did this to my old 1.9 TDI 130 and it did make a good difference, mine had the same 288mm setup as used on the 1.8T.

As above, you'll need caliper carriers from an S3 to get the 312mm setup on - I got mine from a forum member for about £50

I'm not sure if the other diesels such as the 110TDI use the same setup though.

I got my carriers from someone on Fleebay who was breaking a TT MK1, (apparently they all came with 312mm front disks?), he sold callipers and carriers inc postage for £50.00. Worth sending a few messages out to sellers and seeing what response you get.

Ill have calipers and carriers from my 2003 S3 with 35k on the them soon. Bound to be in decent condition but not had a look at them yet.

Last edited:
Youll just notice the difference when driving the car hard, under normal driving you wont notice the brakes are anymore sharper, youll need to bleed your brakes for that.