need some urgent help on some springs

MattW86

Reaction score
hi guys as the title says..... i need some urgent help/advice/guidance on a set of springs for my 01' S3 just back from the MOT centre and the 2 front springs are insecure and the 2 rear springs are broken.:scared2:

suppose the real questions i need answers to are;

1. are they easy to fit?
2. how much for a medium range set (hoping to do a full overhaul in the summer when money is available, need something quick)

all advice is appreciated

cheers

matthew

are they easy to fit? well that depends on how good you are with a spanner in your hand, for someone who knows what they are doing, has all the right tools etc to do front and back springs shouldnt take 3 hours start to finish especially if theres two of you doing it

i know the rear springs are prone to snapping on the s3's design flaw maybe, failure due to age and sheer weight of motor more likely
front springs insecure how exactly?

if you are going to do a full suspension upgrade in the summer i would replace with standard springs for now and save your money, plenty of people on here fitted lowering springs/coilovers so someone must have a set lying around that they would want to get shot of, either that or ebay or breakers yards

As above, a mornings work if youve got some tools and a bit of knowledge,

Ive got a set (4) of Apex lowering springs 'just lying about' £50+p+p PM if your intrested.

Rear springs are easy (as long as you have spring clamps), fronts will require a bit more work, you'll also require a 4 wheel alignment after. I think all of the oem springs are prone to snapping (front and rear). If your going to overhaul id buy the new springs and fit them now (dpm is good for S3 parts https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk) and when you can afford to change the dampers.

i wouldnt fit lowering springs on tired dampers, you wont be getting the most out of the springs plus with the reduced damping you are more likely to pop the seals on the dampers and then you will be replacing them sooner than you may have wanted to, totally up to you of course but if it were me id either do springs and dampers together or just replace with std springs for now untill you can afford to do it all

i wouldnt fit lowering springs on tired dampers, you wont be getting the most out of the springs plus with the reduced damping you are more likely to pop the seals on the dampers and then you will be replacing them sooner than you may have wanted to, totally up to you of course but if it were me id either do springs and dampers together or just replace with std springs for now untill you can afford to do it all

this is what i have done and i must say ive not had a problem so far. my rear springs were broken so i got a set of H&R's on standrard dampers. Ride is abit bouncy and i know im not getting the most out of the springs as a result but my dampers are still holding out over a year later and 15,000 on. My line of thinking is to replace the dampers when they eventually do so but just cant fork out over £500 when the OEM ones are still in working order. not ideal but financially makes sense.

this is what i have done and i must say ive not had a problem so far. my rear springs were broken so i got a set of H&R's on standrard dampers. Ride is abit bouncy and i know im not getting the most out of the springs as a result but my dampers are still holding out over a year later and 15,000 on. My line of thinking is to replace the dampers when they eventually do so but just cant fork out over £500 when the OEM ones are still in working order. not ideal but financially makes sense.

well yer of course, if its all that your bank account will allow at the time then you gotta go with it, but in an ideal world....... i just prefer to do it all in one foul swoop rather than doing odd bits here and there/waiting for things to break before replacing them, preventative maintainence etc

hi guys just a quick update on the springs.

got phoning a few places yesterday and after being quoted £550 for parts and fitting by the main Audi guys in N.Ireland i called the awesome chaps at DPM and orderred a set of Eibach 25mm/20mm springs @ £145 +19.99 shipping which is brill. And also got quoted 70-80 quid fitting by a local mechanic who has done work for me before = Result:thumbsup:

i would like to thank all your replies to my question this forum rocks:rockwoot:

and just incase he is flicking through the forum a BIG thanks to the guy at DPM(forgot to get his name, i'm a muppet) and also an apologie for bending your ear about my spring issues

cheers again guys

matt