Bigger turbo & upgraded intercooler

audia3turrbo

Reaction score
Hi im looking for a bigger turbo for my audi a3 1.8t 1998,Engine code agu dont no what one will fit,
Have been looking around for a turbo for my car but cant seem to find any,can any body point me in the right direction please,also looking for intercooler to, seen some on (EBAY) dont no if there any good as I have been told the pipes dont line up,only looking for these parts as I am looking for a stage to remap is there any other things i can get to make the car run better with a stage 2,and what bhp should i be looking at thanks guys...

Last edited:
why can you not find a turbo... there are loads of options..
hybrid k03/4 for example... from turbo dynamics, cr turbos etc etc etc

magic of google will surely reveal all for you

as a few said google it!

turborevs (ebay) is a good intercooler kit and is easy to modify to make the pipes equal on each side! use either a 90 degree or two 45 degree alloy (60mm O.D) pipe bends with coupling hoses, i did this looks good!

the ko3s and hybrid ko3 turbos will fit, the hybrids use the ko3 external housing with better uprated internals such as from the ko4!

hope that helps

bill what price can you get hybrids for, a tried and tested one not some chinese crap

Hi im looking for a bigger turbo for my audi a3 1.8t 1998,Engine code agu dont no what one will fit,
Have been looking around for a turbo for my car but cant seem to find any,can any body point me in the right direction please,also looking for intercooler to, seen some on (EBAY) dont no if there any good as I have been told the pipes dont line up,only looking for these parts as I am looking for a stage to remap is there any other things i can get to make the car run better with a stage 2,and what bhp should i be looking at thanks guys...

You say you want a bigger turbo and that you don't know what will fit... this statement alone worries me if I was honest...

If you are after a little more power then you can go for a K03s which is a bolt on replacement and can be mapped to produce a little more than you would get with your current K03.

If you really want bigger then as s3dave and Alpine have already mentioned, what is your budget? Going bigger isn't simply a case of bolting some bigger turbo on... A popular upgrade path for the Ibiza's on SCN is the K03 fitment K04 hybrid which is essentially a K04 (S3) turbo that fits on a K03 manifold however you do need (as Bill said) larger injectors, S3 MAF etc... and a stage 3 map to get it all working right.

Your are then talking a couple of grand at least.... beyond that its proper big turbo time GT2871r etc... then you are looking at £6k plus with labour.

Check out this Ibiza build thread for ideas about the K04 hybrid
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217772

Check out Matts A3 big turbo build thread too
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?52270-A3-Quattro-build-thread

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
.... beyond that its proper big turbo time GT2871r etc... then you are looking at £6k plus with labour.

do you think this is what your build would have cost had you not done it yourself tuffty? thats hell of alot and your gt30 would have cost more too

i forget who done it now, think they are still kicking around on here, fitted the vf34 turbo on his yellow s3 in a day (in a tiny garage may i add) surely that was done on budget, but again i suppose only becuase the person in question done most/all of the spanner work himself

do you think this is what your build would have cost had you not done it yourself tuffty? thats hell of alot and your gt30 would have cost more too

i forget who done it now, think they are still kicking around on here, fitted the vf34 turbo on his yellow s3 in a day (in a tiny garage may i add) surely that was done on budget, but again i suppose only becuase the person in question done most/all of the spanner work himself

Mine would have cost this easily. There is no massive price difference between similar spec'd GT28 and GT30 turbos but using a GT30 on a FWD A3 is a tad overkill. I had a lot of the required kit already fitted such as a FMIC, decent brakes and suspension mods. The S3 has charge pipes that are more than adequate for the job with a few minor mods and I built my car around trying to utilise as much of the std stuff as possible. This saves on fabrication work which adds to the cost plus I did most of the work myself. Its not that much money when you consider the work that goes into building a conversion like this... I have done my own and been involved in a couple more and all the ones that Bill works on are bespoke.

This kind of price includes labour and fabrication costs don't forget... if you are doing the job properly then its new rods and valves for the engine then a tubular mani and turbo. Not cheap stuff either and you won't find many tuners that will compromise on quality items for the sake of saving a few quid. This sort of price range is typically for a complete package, drive in drive out, stage 3 mapping, the works... The costs can escalate if you need other work done such as brakes and suspension.

If you are handy with a spanner and happy to buy cheaper parts they won't last as long then thats fine but if you want a quality job then that comes at a price.

<tuffty/>