Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Temperature Gauge Hitting 120 Degrees?

Hi guys, hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem, I own a 2003 1.8t sport and it's showing high temperature on the dash and I get the audible bleep and temp high warning icon on the display.

She's fine poodling around town or sat in traffic, but when I open her up she hits 120 degrees and I get major loss of power.

I'm having the waterpump and timing belt changed on Monday, at the cost of 400 I might add, as I have seen the water pump is the usual cause, but I'm having doubts.

I don't really want to change the water pump and timing belt if it's not the pump.

Oh, i should add that the expansion tank stays luke warm no matter how hight the temperature guage shows, and code 51 on the climate control shows 75 degrees even when the shows from 90 degrees to 120 degrees. Water isn't pumping into the expansion tank either.

Any ideas?

Steve

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    water pump

redline responsibly

Status
    if your getting the pump done you may aswell get the stat done whilst the systems losing fluid when the pump gets done

5th Gear

Status
    Could also be the CTS (coolant temp sensor) that is faulty
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

5th Gear

Status
    if the temp gauge says 120, water in header and is luke warm and is not flowing then its water pump

its possible that the sender/stat is knackered but you wont be able to tell untill you have the water pump done, may aswell have them done at same time i suppose, only an extra 50 at most

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, just thought I'd run it past people that would know before I part company with my 400.

I'll post when I get the car back on Monday and let you know how it is.

Would the high temp due to a waterpump failure give me loss of power?

Steve

4th Gear

Status
    I'd get the timing belt done at the same time if not done
    recently also get a pump with a metal impeler on it!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Scott

The timing belt is being done at the same time, the car has done 86000 miles although the service book says the timing belt was done at about 74000.

I'd never get an old timing belt put back on a car anyway.

I will go for the genuine Audi waterpump, it seems they have modified the pump design.

I am loathed to go for steel or brass impellors as there is more chance of throwing a timing belt if they fail, at least the plastic impellor is inclined to break up without throwing the belt.

Steve

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah I had the same problem as you in November and went to Audi and was told i would get a pump with a metal impellor and it turns out its the plastic one.

4th Gear

Status
    As far as I know all a3/s3 above 2000 came with metal impellors, have you thought about the sender and thermostat before doing such a big job? and the temp code is C49 not 51!
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok update on the water pump.

Fontains in Iver, Buckinghamshire fixed it on Monday and fitted a nice new timing belt and tensioner as well.

I picked up the car and they had given it a full valet, bearing in mind they also dropped me off and picked me up from work.

The car now runs like a dream, temperature gauge sits around 70 - 75 most of the time now and doesn't go much higher even with excessive use of the right foot.

Thanks for everyone that helped with the diagnosis.

Steve

5th Gear

Status
    temp gauge should sit on 90 degrees mate at all times under all conditions, maybe a shade above if being thrashed or hot summer day etc

did you get the sender/thermostat replaced as suggested?

6th Gear

Status
    I think code 51 is oil temp, buts its defo not coolant temp, coolant temp is C49, see what that reads
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

6th Gear

Status
    do some testing/diagnosing to find out if it is your water pump before spunking 400, i would

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    did u try the thermostat? best option before the waterpump (because of the high labour involved in the water pump change). temp sender cost about 10 aswell so that worth trying first.

Also to see if its the water pump look into ur coolant botter and see if u can see any black flakes. if so thats the crappy black plastic propeller which has broken causing the failure.

also with the water pump, start the car and take the cap off. then rev the engine and see if u can see any pumpage.
    Last edited by DaveA3; 25th March 2010 at 14:33. Reason: spelling

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc