Brembo Calipers

SteveBAM

Black '03 S3
Reaction score
some one I know is selling me these Brembo calipers for a pretty good price(350 euros) and he says they are from a Range Rover Supercharged..
the calipers are pretty big, about 33cm in length and 16cm in width... they have a code on them 20.8535.03 A1 and I cant seem to find any info on them.. they also are in fairly good condition apart from some chips and scratches that can be fixed and with good Brembo pads fitted on.
what rotors should I get? I have 18in BBS RC's with 20mm spacers and I am aiming for the looks, so any ideas?
SNC00873.jpg

SNC00874.jpg

SNC00875.jpg

SNC00876.jpg

Unlikely to fit mate... they have built in brackets for a start so may not even line up to bolt on let alone the right offset or stand off for S3 discs... go elsewhere mate tbh..

<tuffty/>

Steve I'm no expert but they seem too big even if you were to be able to get them fitted surely the pressure needed would mean an upgrade on the slave and master cylinders to give the right pressure for braking would it not ?

Unlikely to fit mate... they have built in brackets for a start so may not even line up to bolt on let alone the right offset or stand off for S3 discs... go elsewhere mate tbh..

<tuffty/>

your saying they wouldn't fit not even with custom adapters??

they are pretty heavy and i am a little worried about putting that much weight on the front wheels..:crying:

Steve I'm no expert but they seem too big even if you were to be able to get them fitted surely the pressure needed would mean an upgrade on the slave and master cylinders to give the right pressure for braking would it not ?

you have a good point there, i hadn't thought about the pressure they will need and if the master cylinder would be up to that..!!

ok, didn't want to start a new thread so :
after doing some research and after listening to some of your opinions I'm not going to go with the Range Rover calipers. They are pretty big and heavy and i think the only thing they would cause is problems..
so i have found some Mitsubishi Evo X (gsr) calipers which seem to be more of a good idea with adapters and 330x28 rotors from Badger5..
anyone have these calipers fitted on there car?

!BeSVWLw!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKkMEq5H841fCBK8q7OkVTQ~~_35.JPG

i will be selling my porsche 6 pot calipers with carriers for the s3 in the next week or so, no upgrade to slave/master cylinder needed, awesome stopping power :sign_plug:

pm me if you wanna know more, sorry for hijack :)

i will be selling my porsche 6 pot calipers with carriers for the s3 in the next week or so, no upgrade to slave/master cylinder needed, awesome stopping power :sign_plug:

pm me if you wanna know more, sorry for hijack :)

How come youre selling Jonny?

ok, didn't want to start a new thread so :
after doing some research and after listening to some of your opinions I'm not going to go with the Range Rover calipers. They are pretty big and heavy and i think the only thing they would cause is problems..
so i have found some Mitsubishi Evo X (gsr) calipers which seem to be more of a good idea with adapters and 330x28 rotors from Badger5..
anyone have these calipers fitted on there car?

!BeSVWLw!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKkMEq5H841fCBK8q7OkVTQ~~_35.JPG

If you can make this work, I can see a whole load of interest. I'm sure someone tried to use Evo8 Brembo calipers, but had no success.

If you can make this work, I can see a whole load of interest. I'm sure someone tried to use Evo8 Brembo calipers, but had no success.

Had no success?? do you know why? if you use the right adapters i cant see why there should be any problem..

well i just bought the calipers so i will keep you guys up to date on the progress...:icon_thumright:

I was going to look At working this cit out myself a while ago but as my car already has the brembo gt jnr kit fitted
If i had got a pair of calipers cheap enough i would have gone for it.

If you noticed, he said calipers and carriers, not disks. The disks costs an arm and a leg to replace, and I presume they are knackered.

yer, what he said lol

on closer inspection today they aren't totally fubar'd but are getting that way, so i dont want to be the one left with a mahoosive bill to replace, simples!!

What size/ design are the discs used with this set up jonny?

355mm front 256mm rear
couldnt tell you the size of the top hats, will measure them upoun removal

design? errrr, well they are vented drilled and grooved, is that what you meant?

im sure someone will be able to get replacements made cheaper than buying from ecs

ok, so i received my calipers today with new brembo pads that arent in the pictures
SNC00921.jpg

SNC00925.jpg

SNC00928.jpg

SNC00920.jpg

now I'm trying to source out some rotors so i can get the adapters made. i want to go 340mm+ but I'm not sure what i can find..
any suggestions welcome..:icon_thumright:

Just a though but wont the lcr brembos be a direct swap with discs and pads I asume the s3 and lcr use the same upright?

Cal

r32 discs are direct fit onto s3 and are 330mm ish iirc

ive gone with r32 setup, just need to pull my finger out n get them fitted lol

Just a though but wont the lcr brembos be a direct swap with discs and pads I asume the s3 and lcr use the same upright?

Cal

yes that's probably right but the lcr brembos are a lot smaller in size and piston diameter than these ones...:icon_thumright:

r32 discs are direct fit onto s3 and are 330mm ish iirc

ive gone with r32 setup, just need to pull my finger out n get them fitted lol
yes, R32 discs are 334mm but i was thinking of going with something like 340mm+...
i could also go with ECS Tuning rotors but they cost a little bit to much and are 332mm...
ill see what i can find.. :icon_thumright:

i got 355mm 2 piece ecs discs that im taking off mine in the next few weeks, still got some life left in them?
got some pics knocking around somehwere im sure or if you're going to pod tomorrow you can look at them there?

i got 355mm 2 piece ecs discs that im taking off mine in the next few weeks, still got some life left in them?
got some pics knocking around somehwere im sure or if you're going to pod tomorrow you can look at them there?

sounds interesting if you could send some pictures to me and also i wont be at pod tomorrow because i live in Athens Greece:icon_thumright:

remember disk thickness on these calipers also.. not all caliper accomodate >28mm thick disks

those evo ones are lug mount, so in my opinion no easier than the range rover ones to make a bracket for unless they happen to be vag hub centre bolt fixing identical and offset identical.. (unlikely)

good luck putting something together to suit these...
radial mount calipers give you the opportunity to get mounting brackets made, lug mount ones retrict this option down a lot.

ok, so i have the day off work tomorrow and i will be fitting the brakes.. stay tuned for the pics, should be interesting see how the EVO calipers can be fitted to an S3...:rockwoot:

remember disk thickness on these calipers also.. not all caliper accomodate >28mm thick disks

those evo ones are lug mount, so in my opinion no easier than the range rover ones to make a bracket for unless they happen to be vag hub centre bolt fixing identical and offset identical.. (unlikely)

good luck putting something together to suit these...
radial mount calipers give you the opportunity to get mounting brackets made, lug mount ones retrict this option down a lot.

thanks Bill...:icon_thumright:

ok, first of all I would like to say that after having the brakes installed that this isn't really the right way to go, because as said above by Bill, the Evo calipers I installed are lug mount and we had a couple of issues with the offset and trying to get the caliper to sit in the right place with the adapter. at the end of the day the hole setup did work and fit to my hubs but I guess I will find out down the track if things will be ok.
at the moment I'm still Bedding them in.

now when I first drove the car after the install, it was obvious that this upgrade has a completely different feel to the pedal than stock ones. the pedal had a softer feel but as soon as I put just a little bit of pressure on it, the brembos would grip the pads on to the 350mm discs much more firmer that stock pads and discs. I am a little worried about a vibration I am getting on the steering wheel when braking at higher speed (around 100klm ) but after doing some driving tonight I got the feeling that the vibration is fading away..

For the rears, I had my front EBC dics slimmed down to 22mm and grooved so they could fit the stock caliper with the adapter that was made for them.

in the front I had custom made Brembo discs with aluminum bells 350x32mm. with the wheels off they looked pretty big but with the wheels on I realized that I could of gone a little more bigger, but that would have been limited by the calipers (lug mount).

as I said before I did about 100klm of driving tonight and there is a big difference from yesterday with the pads griping much more with less pedal pressure.
hopefully when im finished with the bedding in stage, my brakes will be as I want them without any problems, so ill just have to wait and see...

I took plenty of pics, so I hope you enjoy..
any comments welcome

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

starting with the rear :

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

and the Front :

1.jpg

2.jpg

had to take a little off to get the caliper further in :sadlike:
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

discs 350x32mm

16.jpg

17.jpg

7.jpg

adapters for the calipers

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

now at the start Max was worried about the size of the discs

12.jpg

he thought about it carefully

13.jpg

and after some serious thinking decied it would be alright:yes:

14.jpg

and was happy with the result

15.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

the result
SNC01010.jpg

SNC01009.jpg

SNC01005.jpg

SNC01011.jpg

that&#8217;s it..
will have to wait and see if it was all worth it...

i just realized that last post was my 100th one..:):):):)

what front disks were these..
creative use of parts. looks like the front disks were machined out on the hubs to take a bell

Bill, these are front discs from Mercedes M series which as you said have been mechined out to take a bell...
here are some more pictures with a friends Golf GTi edition took today after a wash..
DSC00170.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

ok, so its been about 2 weeks with the brakes installed and i can say WOW.. the stopping power is massive and pretty well balanced, the only thing is that i think i could go a little bigger in the rear (like 330 kit) because i get the impression that the fronts are griping a little to much, but that might be because of the pads still not sitting well on the new rear discs yet.. will have to wait and see.

also fairly soon i will be doing a test with a friends S3 with stock brakes compared to mine trying to see the difference and that will involve some video as well..:icon_thumright: