Chris NottAH Fabrications
    5th Gear

Status

Caliper winding tool

Hi guys,

I am replacing my discs & pads (front & rear) in a couple of weeks' time & need a caliper winding tool for the rears. Is there a particular one that I need for the job? Dont want to get it all apart & find I have the wrong one!

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    Can't say for certain whether it'd do the trick for an S3 or not (don't see why not), but I've used this on two 8L 1.6s, and a B5 TDI...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

If you go with that one make sure it's the right one though - they do two, and one's for left hand thread. The right one does mention VW/Audi on the packaging/destructions somewhere...

Regards,

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

6th Gear

Status
    used that exact one only weeks ago on my S3 it works fine
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

Alex

Status
    I just use a g clamp and some mole grips, works fine.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Up until the S3 I have used g-clamp for the fronts and long nose mole grips to wind in the rears but used a wind in tool after spending nearly 20mins getting no where trying to wind the piston in with the mole grips...

Took about 30secs to do with the tool...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    The Halfords one i got had 2 sides to it and saved my life after trying for 3 hrs to do it with out. For the money its a tool to have even if you only do your brakes once
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Just invest in the Halfords one, it's universal for all types of cars, so you can garantee it's not a use once only tool when you have one.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Smell my finger.

Status
    Another vote for the Halfords one there. Couldnthave done the rears on my other halfs TT without it!.

Doing the rears on the A3 in a couple of weeks so glad I've got the tool...doing it without results in lots of swearing.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status
    omg, guys are we actually saying that something from halfords works/is worth spending money on?

could this be an asn first?

possibly even a world first?

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yep!

Although to be fair the Halfords Pro range of tools is good (re-wind tool isnt pro range). All my stuffs lasted with years of abuse!.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, really good info. I am replacing my discs & pads with EBCs. The info that came with the new EBC discs recommends to measure disc run-out after fitting. Given the quality of these discs I'm not sure I should need to check disc run-out after installation, particularly if I ensure that the hub/disc interface is clean? Any advice?

Smell my finger.

Status
    Stick them on and if they look good enough by eye then that'll do IMO. Just make sure all mating surfaces when fitting are free from crud and nice and clean. Wire brushing should do the trick once the old discs are off the car.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Yep!

Although to be fair the Halfords Pro range of tools is good (re-wind tool isnt pro range). All my stuffs lasted with years of abuse!.
    I have trades discount at Halfords, and most of their tools have life time warranty, what is there not to like?

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Stick them on and if they look good enough by eye then that'll do IMO. Just make sure all mating surfaces when fitting are free from crud and nice and clean. Wire brushing should do the trick once the old discs are off the car.
    Well, that's the plan. So long as the hub/disc facings are free of corrosion etc then all should be good in theory...