Help with my Temp Gauge

XXX_18T

Reaction score
Thanks Brogan. Actually, it's a holiday every time I drive the M3. Cept today, of course. Too many drunken fools on the road. I will play it safe and stay home and get drunk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I will play it safe and stay home and get drunk!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have one for us Limeys Glaws /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure it must be an entertaining day over there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

cheers Gary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will play it safe and stay home and get drunk!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have one for us Limeys Glaws /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure it must be an entertaining day over there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually is entertaining. Some grass fires started, a couple of houses burnt down. Damn near blew my hand off one time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Usually is entertaining. Some grass fires started, a couple of houses burnt down. Damn near blew my hand off one time

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds like the stuff we do on November 5th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif hope it goes well all the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My temp gauge seems to be sitting at 80 all the time sometimes rising to 90 but always coming back to 80, is this just a problem with my temp sensor or is it something more sinister?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My S3 rises to 90 within a couple of miles and sits there all day
( i think its 90 from memory..... 12'o'clock position on the gauge)

Could be the temp sender..and it's as easy as taking the old one out fitting the new one in, no flushing, nothing..had the same prob, got it sorted out. In hindsight, shoulda done it myself...AndrewUkR6 also has a similar prob ("low temp" thread)...hope this helps...
age and mileage of your car?! had to replace the waterpump on mine, mmmm..not pleasant on the pocket..

Hi, I had a similar problem. My gauge didnt register any temp change (from 60) intermitently - I presumed this wasnt the water pump as it wasnt registering high! So last night I changed the Coolant Temp Sensor which was easy.

However now it does register a temp but seems very reluctant to go abouve 70, it occasionally pushes round to 80 but then back down to 70! Is this standard on the A3 or should it just quickly warm upto 90 and stay there?

Im a bit stuck, and really [censored] as I was hoping to avoid these annoying niggles with my new car. I will work on it and if i get a fix I'll let you know, if you fix yours please update here !!!

A possible idea I had was a air in the rad (after changing sensor) giving changing results, or possibly the temp sensor sent was faulty (doubtful). If anyone can tell me where the bleed valves are and if i need an expansion tank to bleed the rad.

Regards.

A3 T, 1997 67k

Andrew, u changed the temp switch by the rad, right?..are your fans working and all...then you should think about checking that temperature sender/sensor under the engine cover...your right, if it was the water pump then you'd be struggling to keep UNDER 90/100/110/120/psssshhh!! anyway, on the 1.8T (I believe all the others too) the gauge needle must sit dead on 90 the whole time....

1997 1.8 A3 Turbo.

67k on the clock. New Coolant Sensor.