ESP light

SteveBAM

Black '03 S3
Reaction score
I did a search but didn’t come up with anything..

this has been happening for the past couple of months and happened again last night.. was out with a friend and at the red light 2 cars stopped next to me, one Skoda Octavia 1.8t and one Astra OPC, so I thought what the hell, my clutch has started slipping a little to so I really thought about it twice!!! yeah right..!!!! anyway, took ESP off reved to 3800-4000rpm and when the green light went on my s3 took off like a rocket leaving the other FWD cars behind, BUT after that my esp light wouldn’t turn off...!!!

it has happened a couple of times and only when I really do violent starts and accelerations... when I turn the ignition off and start the car again everything is back to normal, checked with vag com and no faults anywhere..
what could it be??
any ideas??

Is your MAF plugged in okay? I know when i disconnected my MAF once and forgot to connect it again it came on until i connected it up. What's the power like when the light comes on? Does the car feel less powerful or anything?

Isn't it a sign of MAF going? Someone will confirm this.

yes the maf is in ok, ive even tied it down with a cable tie..!!! and also it is fairly new, I changed it with a new one last September and it has probably done about 9-10.000klm..
when the light stays on everything is as normal, power is the same and the general response of the car is normal..:think:

I had somethin similar on my S4 B5, turned out to be a dodgey ABS sensor if i recall correctly? expensive too for what it was! not sayin its this but sounds similar! i first noticed it after heavy snow and i went out playin on a car park of course! possibly salt n grd ect dirted it up??

well the funny thing is, back in January i belted the hell out of it in the snow and the light did not come on..!!! :confused:

It'll be the yaw, longitudinal or lateral sensors:) Vag com will pick it up
He says vagcom not picking anything up!:think: if it resets its self then it occurs while your bootin it, so maybe **** on a sensor still my guess! prob wrong but hey????:sorry:

well yes i scaned almost every controler including the AWD and nothing came up..!!!!:unsure:

Hmmm strange, i think next time the light is on plug vag com in and see what it picks up, the sensors i mentioned are all related to acceleration so it's likely to be one of them