Anyone lowered on 17" Avus on their S3? Pics please :)

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Well i'm going to order my coilys soon and i'm thinking of getting my wheels refurbed and looking brand new again in a different colour. But then i'm thinking, '*****, i hope the car doesn't sit too low on the floor on 17's!'

So i'm stuck, refurb the 17's or buy 18's? Has anyone got pics lowered on the standard 17's to help me out please?

Thanks peeps!

Jay

It won't sit too low on the 17s over the 18s mate, they both have the same rolling radius, so it will sit the same, unless you lower the tyre pressures on your 17s.

Ello Jojo

I'd like to have it sitting on the tyre or just a couple mm above it. Just wondering what ground clearance is going to be like. Really don't want it smacking bumps!

Ello Jojo

I'd like to have it sitting on the tyre or just a couple mm above it. Just wondering what ground clearance is going to be like. Really don't want it smacking bumps!

You will be fine mate, the only thing you need to worry about is your sump, so navigate those square speed humps that occupy the middle of your road slowly, and obviously don't fly over any type of speed bump. I've had no clearance issues with mine around Brum, but I think the ones in London are a bit bigger!

Dude, have a look in the builds thread, there is a dude called Jim, he has a yellow S3, has a nice drop on that and is on refurbed Avus's car looks sweet!!

im runing 18's but its as low as your going to get (front could go lower but no point) no problem with bumps etc.. and if rolling radius is as jojo says your be fine. your need adjustable rear arms though as when i stuck my back on the floor the camber went in over 3 degrees

Thanks for that guys :) Looks like i'll be refurbing the 17's then and saving money instead of buying new ones!

Kev - how much are adjustable rear arms? Can't tracking places sort out the camber?

std arms arn't adjustable on s3's so you need adjustable arms so tracking places can then adjust it.

Great! You do 1 thing on the S3 and something else always needs doing lol. How much are these? Thanks mate.

Not sure how much refurbs are but i know they're can be 120+. I can get my 4 wheels powder coated for £120 from a friend who can sort it out :)

I just dropped a set of Koni coilovers in mine, and still got the 17" Avus rims, and honestly, the car looks well and truly underwheeled now, especially the width on the rear.

I'm looking at going up to 18" rather than 19" for two reasons: 1/ heard that 19" seriously compromises ride quality and 2/ a 19" rim will make the brakes look too small.

the Avus rim is 7.5" wide and I'm deciding whether to go to 8", 8.5", and possibly a 9" staggered setup for the rear.

its not legal to use spacers here, so I have to achieve it with the rim, you might be able to get a wider stance with a set of spacers.

have a look at my pic and you see how 'skinny' the rears now look

S3frontleft.jpg

also, I've lowered it to around 10mm clearance above the tyres and can advise that clearance, both for the cupra lip, and the underside hasnt been an issue at all

Gareth - pics please :)

I'm definitely going to get spacers, most probably 20mm on the rear and 10 on the front, will that be okay?

im runing 18's but its as low as your going to get (front could go lower but no point) no problem with bumps etc.. and if rolling radius is as jojo says your be fine. your need adjustable rear arms though as when i stuck my back on the floor the camber went in over 3 degrees

kev does your arb hit your driveshaft with it being that low? because mine does on a bumpy road

jay mine is lowered pretty much as much as my ap's will let me only trouble ive had was down a lane (never going down one again)
and once when i had 4 up at about 50mph hit a slight hump (not a speed hump) and the sump hit the road.
you will definitely need rear adjustable arms i went through so many rear tyres before i got mine, its heartbreaking seeing £120 tyres being binned just because the inner edge was worn through