Xenon headlights dipping

I

imported_ashs3

Had my S3 about 3 weeks ish now and god damn the auto dip on Xenons is a pain in the ****!

One minute it is the drivers side headlight then the passengers side, they just decide to point at the floor, now it is being sorted under warranty tomorrow hopefully (did not make Audi last Monday as was [censored] Sunday night) but so far have only thought it was the passenger headlight so told Audi about this being a common problem and asked them to have ready what ever sensor that they need for the passenger side headlight. So my question is, will they just replace the sensor and take my word for it, or will the fault be stored in the fault codes? also is it one sensor for each headlight or one for both?

Getting right on my nerves as it is always dark when I go to and come home from work (work 12 hr shifts).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

AshS3,
(Sorry off topic)Are you coming up to AMD on the 23rd? Theres a few from S.Wales going up. Let us know if you can make it.

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris,

I am working nights mate, damn would of come as well :-(

S3 G

It is the level sensor on the rear suspension as far as I know, quite a common problem from what I have read on here. Will let ya know what they do though.

Ash

the motors go quite commonly as well - mine had both adjustment motors replaced under warrantly - it wasnt the sensor

Went to Sinclair Audi this morning, they took a look and said that no fault codes were showing and could not find anything wrong (****** tipical) told them that "I didn't care what the fault codes said and that there was a problem and it hapens all the time and that I wanted the sensor chaged on the back suspension" he said "there is one at the front as well" so I said " well change them both then" other wise it could cost them in replacement cars and fule back and forth to Swansea from Newport if they did not change the faulty one.
They kept the car overnight to do the sensors as he needed to order one in for the front. Both will be changed and I get the car back at 11:30am tomorrow, if it keeps doing it then I'll have the motors changed as well.

What car did they give you? I hear you ask, a new A3 2.0 TDI, don't know what model but it goes very well indeed, well impressed with the car as a whole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought it was only one headlamp but then the other started doing it, I just hope they DO change both and not blag me saying they have when they have not, still if it keeps doing it I will be taking it back and they don't want me on their case, I am every dealers nightmare.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

sssh what was that creak? was it the dash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

******, They only gave me a A2 and I know the service guys well! Perhaps they don't like me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Good luck with the fault, I really do rate the guys at Sinclairs in Swansea so you should be ok.

Rich.

Got the car back they swapped both sensors, one on the front suspension and one on the back.

Pulled it up against my garage door when I got it home and both lights are level /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
but both seem to be lower than before, not sure if they are at the correct height now though, as they may have been to high before due to the faulty sensors? will have to wait until it is dark to really tell.

Does anyone know the correct height from ground level for the main beam? Foolish?

Well been out twice tonight in the dark and guess what, same fu**ing problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

What a pain in the ***, why the hell couldn't they just be manual in the UK?

Ah well will call them back tomorrow, I have heard that this is such a bad problem that a service letter was sent to all dealers? is this correct as Sinclair did not know about the dipping problem on S3 xenons? what eles to change now, motors in each headlight? headlights themselves or is there a control unit that sits between the sensors and the motors? God what a pain, as the rest of my car is fine.

Still glad I got the warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Will let you all know tomorrow what they say, if Sinclair are as good as you say Chris it should not be a problem. Anyone else on here from South Wales had the problem and sorted it? if so what dealer was it done at?

Sorry Rich called you Chris above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Was tired last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Just called Sinclair and spoke to Simon, explained that they were still both borked and that there ws an Audi tech letter about this fault so he will look into it, also said that the next best thing to change would be the levelling motors in each headlight and then give both headlights a complete computer set up. He will call me back........

Good luck with it John /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Cheers Dave !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

OK just come off the phone to Sinclair in Swansea and after speaking to both Simon and Clive from service, Clive had contacted Audi UK as they never had the Tech letter and now they have a copy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif the Tech letter was to replace the Motors on the headlights as they were the cause of the fault and this fault was eliminated on later models apparently?

The sensors will never be the problem as if they fail they are connected to the fault code system and so will show up on there.

They are going to order two new motors and I am just waiting on them calling me back to see if they have a replacement car for me at short notice so I can take mine in today, as I am not happy driving it with dodgy lights (makes sense to me). Once the new motors are fitted the next part of the tech letter is that a full computer headlight alignment is done to make sure they are all set at default height before the sensors adjust them when the car is on the move or heavy laden.

Just have to wait for them to sort this so I can test them, hopefully this will solve the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

ashs3, when you take the car in ask for them to adjust it to the maximum legal limit after new motor installation. If possible, get they to bring the tech out and tell him direct. Stirling kindly did it for me after mine were replaced. Makes a huge difference.

Have asked for this to be done, just got home, took ages as M4 was closed for 2 junctions.
They gave me a new Golf this time Rich as it was short notice, it is hairdresser red and a 1.4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ashs3 said:
Don't know if it is posible to disconect the motors, would save a load of hassle though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything is possible. You could disconnect them, remove the pinion drive, remove the motor etc etc - I'll look for a neat and reversible solution and let you know...

Cheers David! I don't fancy an £800 bill in the future for poxy headlight motors. Could put that towards some Brembos.

Chris. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Head lights! tell me about them. I have had this same issue for ages, since April 2001 when I got the car new. I kept taking the car in, but as no error codes showed up the dealer was just guessing. They swopped everything, both headlights, both axle sensors and the alignment computer. No joy the lights still dropped to the floor for no reason. Eventually they spoke to the Audi tech centre who advised the motor swop. Since then the lights have been just fine.

I would advise anyone with this problem to just get the motors swapped and if your dealer has never had the Tech letter then do what I did and tell them to call Audi UK, they will then fill them in with the details and if under warranty the both motors will be swapped.

Found out as well today that the price of the motors are no where near what I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif they are infact around £43 each + VAT and fitting. The sensors around £45 each.

Picked the car up this afternoon so am waiting for darkness to fall so I can go on some test runs, will let ya know........

[ QUOTE ]
Robthehungrymonkey said:
That looks like quite a happy ending!
Especially to those of us who's cars are out of warranty, £43 seems fairly resonable

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously depends on different $tealer prices mind, from what I have seen this can vary quite a lot.

But as said a happy ending /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Has anyone found the cure for the Xenon headlights dipping??? Is it definatley the headlight motors??? My passenger headlight drops sometimes, can anyone help??

my passenger one does it as well even after both motors have been replaced under warranty. warranty now out so I was going to replace the sensors myself. probably wont bother now after what I have read above. ATM I have unplugged both motors when the lights were at the correct height. any more info on a possible fix would be helpfull.

I had this problem last year and was fixed by replacing the adjustment motors, I got it done under warranty but I think the motors are only about £40 each

HTH

Didnt think my zenons were auto dip? (Uk late 99 s3 seperate light/sidelight) they have been annoyingly low for ages! i'd swear they wernt doing it before but for a guy who does low milage an work away for long periods i couldnt put money on it! they were damaged previously an i was quoted a good 500 quid for a new light cause the mount had broken off, went to a breaker who laughed an gave me an audi part number for a bracket rapair kit so fixed it for 20 quid, i'm thinking now the damge may have been more exstensive?
i stupidly (on my part) got a mate to just screw them up? are they all auto dip or are some manual?.... obviously need more investigation!

thanks for posting it mate

My passenger headlamp kept dropping to the floor. I waited until it raised itself and then disconnected the motor feed, been alright since.
I'll replace the motor when the weather gets better, but this is a free fix for now!
I know that this breaks the law as all Xenon lights should be self levelling and have a power wash facility, but it's January, cold and a long way to payday, and it sits lower than the drivers side!

col6821 said:
I know that this breaks the law as all Xenon lights should be self levelling and have a power wash facility, but it's January, cold and a long way to payday, and it sits lower than the drivers side!

From researching other posts on retro-fitting xenon's to our a4, it seems that it only breaks the law to sell a new car with xenons without auto-levelling, after that it's a grey area. It's probably not illegal to drive around with them disabled/broken. Difficult to believe they'd test for it at an MOT anyway other than simply checking the beam is within legal tolerance with the car on the level. Besides the only thing that's enforced in the uk is speed isn't it, you can drive uninsured, untaxed, drunk, high on crack etc with no penalty because the camera can't tell :)

I had the dipping problem with both my S3s but touch wood it has not gone wrong more than once on the current one - mainly I think because my local dealer got to know what the problem really was and solved the root cause which I guess is the motors.

I'm sure I remember that they did tend to level properly after failing with a 'reset', ie. turning the lights off and on again, sometimes they would drop again and other times you could get home. That might get you around until you can get it fixed, ignoring those trouser filling moments when they dip mid-corner on a dark wet country road!