Preparation for the nurburgring

sportstractor

Chugger
Reaction score
In 3 weeks time il be heading out to the nurburgring with a few members on here and some LCR boys.

Going to start ordering stuff to prepare the S3 for the trip and track. Iv been once before (in a mini) and definately wont be blitzing it, but even semi fast driving on that track is a massive demand on the car...

Seems like it will be a good idea to do an oil change, brake fluid change, front discs and pads, as a minimum.

Brake fluid will be high temp fluid, front brake pad wise DS2500 seem well rated, and groved black diamond or EBC discs. Oil wise will probably go for standard stuff (whatever that is). Im going to put it in for mot this week as its almost running out, hopefully will go straight through.

Then depending on cash im considering fitting some new tyres, probably R888's, and getting it re-remapped just so that crustacean cant keep up on the autobahn. Would also like thicker rear ARB, but i dont think il have time or money.

Not sure if its worth taking any spares, surely will be able to get audi parts in germany should the need arise:w00t:

I think iv got it all covered but any opinions advice etc will be nice. As for the trip, i cant wait, had such a good last time, and expecting this one to be even better.

Make sure you have a full tank of petrol there is a couple of good garages near the ring that do high octane fuel so fill up there and while your there make sure you check your tyre pressures are spot on, this will make a difference. Make sure you take plenty of fluid for you as well you can get de-hydrated real quick.
Also listen to and read the ring rules and always watch your mirrors for faster motors. Give you and your car a breather between laps this way hopefully you won't break anything. Make sure you have european recovery just in case the unthinkable happens.
Most of all relax and enjoy it and don't worry about your times too much if it's your first time and ensure you drive within your limits.

Make sure you have a full tank of petrol there is a couple of good garages near the ring that do high octane fuel so fill up there and while your there make sure you check your tyre pressures are spot on, this will make a difference. Make sure you take plenty of fluid for you as well you can get de-hydrated real quick.
Also listen to and read the ring rules and always watch your mirrors for faster motors. Give you and your car a breather between laps this way hopefully you won't break anything. Make sure you have european recovery just in case the unthinkable happens.
Most of all relax and enjoy it and don't worry about your times too much if it's your first time and ensure you drive within your limits.

yeah i rememer the garages last year... especially the price with our weak pound, hoping the euro will crash before then though! Nah not worried about times mate, never have been. Especially at 800euros per barrier section.

hahaha, i think they have a strict 'no jew' policy there mate

Haha, best make sure Rob stays behind then!

I say I'll be there, thats if I can keep a track car on the road for long enough! I'd be just finishing my 205 now and getting excited about going if it wasn't for my girlfriend (and her Audi) and my epicly large ego! :(

Last edited:
I wouldn't change the brakes or tyres just for the trip unless they're really low now as you'll end up killing them. Best to change them when you return!

There are lots of places to buy food and drink so don't worry about that.

Check oil level regularly. A week after coming home in my M3 the engine threw its conrod out!! Don't sit on brakes at the end of the lap or you'll melt the pads onto the rotors

Enjoy!

should be a pretty good trip Hayes!

Interestingly, having read your other thread, I'm going to be fitting an EBC in the next week before we go, I'm sick of my horrific random boost from my AGU, and want a set figure in every gear, even if it's lower than it has been in the past.

Just found out I need some tyres before we go, and to wind the coilies up, had the family in the back tonight and it rubbed like hell!

Give it a good service, fresh oil and filters, make sure your wheel alignment is fairly good (it's a long trip to scrub your tyres off!) and prepare for a good weekend of beer and fast cars :)

I wouldn't change the brakes or tyres just for the trip unless they're really low now as you'll end up killing them. Best to change them when you return!

There are lots of places to buy food and drink so don't worry about that.

Check oil level regularly. A week after coming home in my M3 the engine threw its conrod out!! Don't sit on brakes at the end of the lap or you'll melt the pads onto the rotors

Enjoy!

yeah the discs are pretty worn, not sure on the pads. Thats the gods way of punishing you for buying a bmw

should be a pretty good trip Hayes!

Interestingly, having read your other thread, I'm going to be fitting an EBC in the next week before we go, I'm sick of my horrific random boost from my AGU, and want a set figure in every gear, even if it's lower than it has been in the past.

Just found out I need some tyres before we go, and to wind the coilies up, had the family in the back tonight and it rubbed like hell!

Give it a good service, fresh oil and filters, make sure your wheel alignment is fairly good (it's a long trip to scrub your tyres off!) and prepare for a good weekend of beer and fast cars :)

yeah seems EBC will not do much for me, considering stopping in AMD before the trip as there in essex, and getting a re-remap. MOT this week aswell, chuffin hell

buy a PS3 and practice the track lol

Too many twists and turns to remember, so the PS3 option is not very helpful in this case. Remove the back seats if people aren't riding with you.

i found the hours i wasted on PS3 were very helpful at the ring. youre much better off knowing where the road is about to go next

DS3000's on S3 pushed hard would be better suited.. I think you may overheat DS2500's on the S3 at the ring.. I know I would

Definitely sort the brakes, they were biggest issue I had last year in my S3. Standard brakes just dont slow you down enough going into bends. I ended up locking up a few times because I was pushing hard and had to press the brake pedal quite hard to get the car through.

and always leave the car in gear with the handbrake off after youve been out :thumbsup:

Sounds good car wise, make sure you have a high vis. jacket for France though!

Too many twists and turns to remember, so the PS3 option is not very helpful in this case. Remove the back seats if people aren't riding with you.

Its actually very helpfull to familiarize yourself with the order of corners. However it isnt as specific enough with camber and surfice grip. Still would recommend it. Also removing your back seats wont do anything for you. Maybe lighten the back end enough for you to get some oversteer on the go and crash.

My advice....Drive on the right lol. Im going back in August :)

what ps3 game is best for the nurburgring?

well last year i did a pussy lap in a rather slow mini, which was not tracked at all and had shocking tyres, plus i didnt know the car so was driven seriously safe.

Yeah think you need high-vis for on the track too

As for the DS3000's, what are they like for normal use? wheres best place to buy? any decent online places you chaps use? i doubt my local parts place will keep them.

The main problem i saw last year was tyres over inflating towards the last 1/4 of the track

I had a track day at brands late last year and did the following:
- Brake change - EBC turbo grooved and yellow stuff pads (brilliant on the track, unlike another person on the track with standard brake who kept having to come in as they were fading!)
- Brake fluid change (normal fluid)
- Oil and filter
- Tyre pressures - put them harder i think 36 front, 38 back...
- Free health check at Audi to make sure nothing to obvious was broken :)

Worked well for me :)

Sounds good mate..

I am going over there in July, in Jap cars though. (im not driving)

We are taking a couple of 350z's and a golf r32.

Should make for some interesting action :p

- Tyre pressures - put them harder i think 36 front, 38 back...

I'm afraid to say I think this is a TERRIBLE idea, I set my tyre pressures to 32f and 34r before heading out onto the ring, and after 2 laps they were both well over 45psi, and I'd lost all grip. Lowered the pressures to 34f 36r when hot and got LOADS of traction back, and they lasted a whole lap without going 'off' towards the end like Hayes mentioned.

you know the score James, make sure it's in a good condition, and ensure the brakes are 100%, I'd say ds3000's would be pretty wicked,

Can you imagine getting brake fade at 130mph trying to slow down into Aremburg?

Its actually very helpfull to familiarize yourself with the order of corners. However it isnt as specific enough with camber and surfice grip. Still would recommend it. Also removing your back seats wont do anything for you. Maybe lighten the back end enough for you to get some oversteer on the go and crash.

My advice....Drive on the right lol. Im going back in August :)

I don't know how you can remember 70 odd corners from a game, don't get me wrong I love PS3 especially all the GT games, but from what I have played it take over 8 minutes for each lap with an s3, therefore time consuming. As for the seats it weighs about 35kg. Now think about the round trip of nearly 2K miles, and all the twist turns & braking on the track then you would appreciate the weight loss.

you'll never learn the track, what you 'learn' is sections of track which follow on from one another, I could remember every corner to save my life, but it certainly helps give you an appreciation of where it's goign to go next, you'll come out of one bend and think 'oh ****, it's adenau forst next' or you'll learn to remember the monster braking effort that is Aremburg, comes at the end of the worlds longest left hander over 3 crests.

No game could ever prepare you for the cambers and gradients on the ring, that has to be seen to be believed, but playing the games can help a bit. Just don't be foolish enough to think you've learnt it.

At the end of the day guys we all go to the Ring to enjoy ourselfs and not set any records. Unless you're attending a private race day then you are doing a "tourist" lap so just take it easy and enjoy yourselves. :icon_thumright:

tbh i wouldnt go putting 888s on etc as the car wont feel like your car, so you wont get the enjoyment of thrashing your own car. you may as well hire something

what ps3 game is best for the nurburgring?

well last year i did a pussy lap in a rather slow mini, which was not tracked at all and had shocking tyres, plus i didnt know the car so was driven seriously safe.

Yeah think you need high-vis for on the track too

As for the DS3000's, what are they like for normal use? wheres best place to buy? any decent online places you chaps use? i doubt my local parts place will keep them.

The main problem i saw last year was tyres over inflating towards the last 1/4 of the track

DS2500's and DS3000's are perfect for road use, excellent cold bite better than oe
available from me amongst others who are in motorsport trade