AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport

Thread: power steering

Neutral

Status

power steering

Think my power steering fluid is needing topped up, whining when turning at slow speeds!
    will any power steering fluid be fine to top it up with?

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    if you pop down to halfords their advise of the stuff specific for VAG motors
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

Drive it like you stole it

Status
    >> Halfords Central Hydraulic Fluid CHF 11S <<

If you look on the back it says "Meets Audi G002 Spec" which is what the Haynes recoommends. Just topped mine up the other day with this stuff, no problems!

Status
    Get the proper VAG stuff, it''s only 7 a litre from VW. Personally I wouldn't trust Halfords to refill my washer bottle.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

6th Gear

Status
    i agree with andymac

Drive it like you stole it

Status
    I'm not really sure you can go wrong with hydraulic fluid as long as it meets the required Audi spec...

I know that Halfords aren't exactly ace at everything, but there's no reason to boycott them altogether for trivial stuff like this!

6th Gear

Status
    go to halfords and be done with it then

when its so cheap from vag, whats the point in getting anything else and possibly getting the wrong fluid, when you risk buggering up seals within the rack etc

6th Gear

Status
    Has anybodyelse sprung a leak from the power stearing coolling pipe?
    My fluid dropped so i was thinking ... wheres that gone then? after putting the car on a ramp i noticed the pump area was wet... oh joy, However on closer inspection i found there was a small hose in the steel "U" shape pipe that works to cool the stearing fluid. I fitted a spare i had ( which had no leaks or serious rust ) and all was well... untill 3 month later, same again. same fault so i went to the dealers and after asking for help pulling my boxer shorts back up i left with a new pipe . All is well now though.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

1st Gear

Status
    How much did the pipe cost from the dealers?

6th Gear

Status
    lots. i snipped off the stetched/damaged and part (10mm maybe) and reattached it. perfect ever since

1st Gear

Status
    would a leak from the rack or pipes make the power steering feel heavy or is that just the way the steering on the A3/ S3 is weighed? iv been driving a 09 plate A4 executive recently and the steering is much lighter, i know with age it will be worn but its heavy enough that i cant spin the wheel with the palm of my hand if i were to do a 3 point turn but could easily in th A4?

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Im another one for getting the genuine stuff from Audi, its only a few quid, i wouldnt say its boycotting Halfords for something trivial, but for something that costs the same or a couple of quid more, you might as well get the 100% right thing for your car and not run the risk of getting any probs.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    @Mike

Yes the steering is quite heavy on the A/S3's, I have also found this, but thats not always a bad thing, as you get to feel the car more, reminds me of the days of my Mark 2 Golf GTI with no Power Steering...oh those were the days!! LOL