Slow wipers

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
More problems!!! on the A3 I have noticed the wipers are desperately slow, the fast speed is what normal speed should be....im thinking the switch or the motor...anyone?

Tim

Could be worth stripping the motor down mate. I had the same problem on a previouse car and the motor needed a bit of love.

^^ What they have said really, MK4 Golf wiper spindles are known to seize up, I point the finger of suspision there....

Last edited:
will give it a go tomorrow..... just attempted the thermo which is twice as hard as my BAM..... ****** AUM

Hi Tim,

Did you manage to fix your wipers? I have the same problem with slow wipers (they stopped on me the other day when it was typically THROWING it down! D'oh). I'd like to dismantle it all and take a look at self fixing before replacing parts. Do you have any pics / how to guide?

Cheers
Rob :)

Hi there. It's a fairly easy DIY job, as it'll be the drivers linkage that has siezed. Take the wipers off and the scuttle panel, then you'll be able to see the linkages. Spray some WD40 and try them on, make a note of the resting position, or take a photo for later. I sprayed mine for a few days to help strip it down, there's a circlip you've got to take out and then it should come apart. Use plenty of copper grease once freed and re-assemble.

Hi there. It's a fairly easy DIY job, as it'll be the drivers linkage that has siezed. Take the wipers off and the scuttle panel, then you'll be able to see the linkages. Spray some WD40 and try them on, make a note of the resting position, or take a photo for later. I sprayed mine for a few days to help strip it down, there's a circlip you've got to take out and then it should come apart. Use plenty of copper grease once freed and re-assemble.

Cheers Watty,

I'm guessing the first thing to do would be as you say spray the linkages with WD40 - then refit it all back together and check if it works? Failing this, do I take out the circlip and then do I strip the linkage or the motor mech?

Thanks