JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Hi all. Need a bit of advice

I thought i'd come here to ask you a3 gurus for some sought after advise!

Up until last week i had a nice '02 gt tdi 150 Golf, unfortunatlely it is no longer with us as i drove it into a ravine SORRY i mean pothole, Smashed the sump and didn't realise

Idiot i am. A sad idiot.

So, i have a budget of around Ł1500-1800 and I've decided i want to get an a3 as it will be similar to the Golf (use the car for motorway commuting)

My questions

Can you get an 'OK' 1.8 NON turbo (insurance is cheaper) for this sort of price

What are the common faults on these cars? especially after 100,000mls? - My golf was NOT reliable over the 18 months i owned it.

How do they drive/ feel in comparison to the MK4 golf?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Hello and Welcome
    check the car selling sites there are plenty on the ones I use but how can anyone know if its "OK" ??

check here fore advice on A3/S3's http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...ously-Stickies

Same chassis as the mk 4 so no different iirc

1st Gear

Status
    Dude i just got one for Ł1600. it was a 1.8 sport with coilovers and 18" RS6 wheels (i think).

if you like A/C then i would go for an SE model over the Sport though as A/C was an expensive option on the sport.

the 1.8 non turbo is ok on the motorway but probably no where near as good as the golf you had. what annoys me the most about motorway driving with it is the gear ratio in fith.... when doing around 80 mph its doing about 3,750 rpm... my focus is only doing around 3k at that speed

Read this thread... its the one i put up asking questions about the A3 as im a newby....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...one-of-you-lot!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigHarrison View Post
    Dude i just got one for Ł1600. it was a 1.8 sport with coilovers and 18" RS6 wheels (i think).

if you like A/C then i would go for an SE model over the Sport though as A/C was an expensive option on the sport.

the 1.8 non turbo is ok on the motorway but probably no where near as good as the golf you had. what annoys me the most about motorway driving with it is the gear ratio in fith.... when doing around 80 mph its doing about 3,750 rpm... my focus is only doing around 3k at that speed

Read this thread... its the one i put up asking questions about the A3 as im a newby....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...one-of-you-lot!
    slipping clutch?
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

Gone:

Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    I found that there wasn't much difference in insurance going from a non turbo 1.8 20v golf to the S3, i'd go for a A3 1.8t personally bud, much better on fuel than the non turbo on the motorway because the gearbox has a much better ratio so it sit lower in the rev range on the motorway. Aslong as the basics have been done like the timing belt and waterpump you'll have a pretty strong car, your always going to get the usual things going wrong like the maf, temp sender etc but that can happen on a non turbo too
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by finesse View Post
    slipping clutch?
    What? no?

6th Gear

Status
    Finesse the non turbo have a gash gearbox lol I blew my planetary gear on mine! Ended up putting a box on from a 1.8t golf
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

1st Gear

Status
    how was it with the turbo's box? is it only 5th gear that the ratios are much lower as i dont want to lose acceleration... 5th is the only gear i dont like..

Smell my finger.

Status
    Get a turbo, you'll regret it otherwise
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah turbo and Quattro if you can stretch your budget!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Oh dear, this is going to get bad!

1.8T is VERY tempting but i'm just so stink!

I replaced the turbo on my golf which i think is fairly common 110,000miles on a diesel? For those that have 1.8Ts - is turbo failure a common problem?

I don't want a money pit.

I spent much of my free time and money on my Golf and i had it looking pretty spot on. If i got a 1.8t i know the bug would bite even harder and punch a hole in my pocket. It would definitely need coilovers and a set of 18's ! RS4's probably.

The joy of motoring

Thanks for the words guys, looks like a good community here. Hopefully i'll get myself an A3 next week.

Chugger

Status
    well yeah the 150s did have a few problems if they werent maintained exactly. Pick up nice tdi A3s for similar money i think, probably less of a money pit than a 1.8t.

I had a gttdi golf 110 and was the most trouble free car i ever owned, felt a bit more agile than my s3 too. My brother just sold it, an s reg with 98k for 2k, alot of car for 2k i think.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Smell my finger.

Status
    The only thing with derv A3's is that they're mega bucks compared to the 1.8T,...all the ones I saw had starship miles too.

The 1.8T A3's are reliable as long as you stay on top of servicing, I've not had anything major with mine and know of a 180k mile 1.8T going strong to this day
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Reverse Gear

Status
    That's encouraging to hear you have had no major problems considering your mileage!

So, we've established that the 1.8T IS reliable, affordable, insure-able because i just checked! and they are waaay too mod-able

That's it. It's on my list.

This is good though, when i heard the verdict on the Golf i was mortified.. thought i'd be driving around in a stinky old Mondeo!

Are there issues with rubbing ARB when lowering these cars?

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by toathus View Post

I don't want a money pit.
    You best not buy an Audi then!

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!