Looking at an S3 tomorrow

s3madness

Reaction score
Hi im looking at a Audi S3 tomorrow, its non-facelife, W reg with 80ish k on it.

Is it worth getting a non facelift, what is the difference apart from the lights and the badges? Can i change the rear old style badge to a new S3 badge?
Is there anything i need to look out for to make sure its genuine and i wont have any problems with it after?

Any help would be appreiciated.

pre-facelift is fine mine is and its a really good car the facelift just has slightly different cosmetics in side and out but nothing much most noticable are front and rear lights.
its spec thats more important the pre or post facelift,
you want esp, heated seats, auto dim rear view mirror, arm rest and cruise control for a decent pre facelift
you can change badges if thats your preferences but once you have it off you might not want to put one back on as its nice with out

got a link to the one your looking at??

What year did it the facelift come about? as i have a 2001 210 but it has all the looks of a facelift, lights etc ......

Whats the budget mate?

I dont have a link for that paticular car, ive got my Golf up for sale and wrote on it p/x for Audi S3 and someone called and sent me pics and is bringing it to show me tomorrow.
im sure its pre-facelift although it does have an ESP button in the pics, old style lights without clear clusters, small S3 badge on grill which im told is the facelift badge. Ive got my Golf up for £4000 and the guy wants about £1500 ontop, so £5,500 sound good?

S3LOV ive been to see that car you called, it really is in mint condition, but the guy is only wanting a cash deal and i gota wait till the Golf is sold in that case, But that car really does look nice in flesh.

personally I would advise you go for a facelift, why settle for an older model when there's not a lot of price difference? Interior dash is nicer, for example the console for the air conditioning climate unit. Gear stick is different more modern. The vent dials light up in facelift with the lights. The headlights are one piece. The boot lock is flusher. The steering wheel is more updated. All facelifts have ESP which pre-face lifts don't I believe. The front lights and rear tails are different. I've heard there were suspension updates on the facelift to, not quite sure what though! The resale value will be better down the line as well as remember these are old cars.

Please don't think I'm having a dig at pre-facelifts here but if you can go facelift I would advise you do, unless it's an amazing car with all the extras you want. Take your time there's plenty of S3's out their!

Last edited:
i have only got a A3 turbo, but if i was going to spend on a S3 i would buy a facelift.

I own a prefacelift on a x plate.

If I was buying now I would definetly go for a facelift model. There isn't that much difference but there starting to get on a bit now and the facelift has some nice touches.

Even Alpine here is looking for facelift one piece headlights. (that aren't on the pre-facelift) LOL! How frustrated would u be if u decided you wanted them and had to fork out extra and change them! Sorry to use you as an example Alpine, just making a point mate. :)