Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status

How do I know if I've got a factory alarm fitted?

Firstly, I know it sounds like a completely obvious question, but bear with me!

I've got the LED's next to the door pins and the button at the bottom of the door pillar to turn the internal sensors on/off.

However! Being unsure I got the mrs to lock the door from the outside with me inside and pulled the handle - no alarm.

Now having an unnatural (and unexplained) hatred of car electrics, can someone point me in the direction of where I might find the alarm siren etc and therefore evidence of whether the alarm is fitted and up the swany or just non-existent.

Thanks muchly!
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    did you wait at least 30 seconds before opening the door?

AFAIK, most if not all A3's came with a factory alarm and immobiliser

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    I honestly can't remeber! I've definatly got an immobilser, so it would stand to reason that I'd have an alarm as well. I'll have to give it another bash and then possibly crack out the Haynes manual...
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Why dont you put the windows down, leave it for about 60 seconds, the leds will flash rapidly until it is set, then they will flash every second or two, once they start flashing like this it means it is set, then all you need to do is put your arms in the car and wave them like you just dont care, this should set the alarm off, if you dont hear anything however and your indicators start flashing, it means you do have an alarm, its just that the siren will be buggered (as they are cr4p and are probably as loud as a casio watch alarm).

Hope that helps.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    Why dont you put the windows down, leave it for about 60 seconds, the leds will flash rapidly until it is set, then they will flash every second or two, once they start flashing like this it means it is set, then all you need to do is put your arms in the car and wave them like you just dont care, this should set the alarm off, if you dont hear anything however and your indicators start flashing, it means you do have an alarm, its just that the siren will be buggered (as they are cr4p and are probably as loud as a casio watch alarm).

Hope that helps.
    It does indeedy! Just for reference, where abouts is the siren located?

Status
    Its in the boot, in the rear arch, under the sub, hidden in a deep dark corner.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    i saw 2 horn type things in the passenger side bit of the bumper/wheel arch thing when fitting my CAI. One of the those the alarm maybe?

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    Its in the boot, in the rear arch, under the sub, hidden in a deep dark corner.
    Arse.

I have this problem and have been meaning to fix it.

I bet that is a proper b*stard to get to as well!!

EDIT: Obviously, as you don't want thieves ripping it out....
    Last edited by Welly; 11th March 2010 at 09:44.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    i saw 2 horn type things in the passenger side bit of the bumper/wheel arch thing when fitting my CAI. One of the those the alarm maybe?
    Narp... just horns

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    That's your horn fella, the two parts created a multi tone horn noise.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Arse.

I have this problem and have been meaning to fix it.

I bet that is a proper b*stard to get to as well!!

EDIT: Obviously, as you don't want thieves ripping it out....
    Haha! Unlucky!

Oh, wait...

Alex

Status
    My siren is fecked as well, hazards flash but no noise. Or its a slient alarm so the ''robber'' doesnt know the alarm is going off so will be caught in the act lol
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

Status
    Well, I've concluded my alarm is shafted. No blinky lights when it sets, which I would assume means it hasn't actually set at all. Definatly doens't go off when waving my arm through an open window...

Balls.

Status
    Thats odd Keeno, im sure they all came with alarms as starndard, have you got any vent looking things on the pillars as thats where the ultrasonics are to sense movement.

Chugger

Status
    hmmm have you vagcomed the car, if the microswiches in the locks have gone the alarm will not set, vagcom will say if they are playing up.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Administrator

Status
    nilz18t has it bob-on right with a good method to test interior monitoring when your alarm is arming, and sportstractor's above is a common reason for them not arming.

If you do get access to VAG-COM/VCDS to scan for issues with the microswitches, you can also run 'Output Tests' on Module 35 (Central Locking) - as part of this your alarm is triggered, so you'll get a better idea of whether it's working at all or not, then it's a process of elimination to find out where things are falling down...

Regards,

Rob.
    Boot full of dog. Back seat full of lenses.

Status
    Yeah, I've got the the trimmings for having an alarm fitted. LED's on the door pins, small vent type jobbies in my B-pillars, the button for turning off interior sensors...

Next stop is VAGCOM then. I can see this becoming a bit of a headache...