Diff going, or just steering fluid?

MartayMcFly

Booooooost
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
After lunch today I noticed a bit of a whine as I went round a roundabout, but didn't notice it again so figured it was just a "quirk". Then, just now on a quick trip to the airport, the whine came back with a vengeance.

SYMPTOMS: As soon as I started the car the whine was obvious, and seemed to be engine speed related (revving quickened the noise). Also, the noise was a LOT louder turning right than left, and barely noticable straight ahead unless I was going slowly. Noise got loud when dry steering, but stopped when I stopped turning the wheel (ie not constant unless changing steering angle). Definitely from the front of the car, and sounded like it's coming from the o/s/f wheel/radiator area... as best I can tell.

Could it be as simple as the steering fluid being low (odd to happen suddenly, and with no warning) or could it be the diff away to give up and cost me more than the stupid car is worth? It's a little dark/early/cold, and I'm too tired, to go checking fluid levels so I'm off to sleep and hopefully I can wake up to a stream of "No worries, a tenner down at Halfords will sort it" type comments.

Roll on annual revue/raise/birthday/S4 I say.

ps - thanks in advance for any help

Power steering pump is running low on fluid or on it's way out. Top it up and listen again. Look for wetness around the steering tie rods. Rack seals can fail without warning and you'll start to lose fluid.

Doesn't sound diff related at all to me.

What HTC said.
Deffinately not the diff if it makes noise when you turn the wheel. Mine done this a while back and it was just the power steering fluid that needed topping up.

Power steering pump is running low on fluid or on it's way out. Top it up and listen again. Look for wetness around the steering tie rods. Rack seals can fail without warning and you'll start to lose fluid.

Doesn't sound diff related at all to me.
Yeah i second this! also slick 50 now do a treatment for power steering pumps! maybe worth a try unless the unit is failing?? just bought our car and the resovoir was very low!

sod slick50. just fix it properly

find out where the old fluid went

you probably have a bad/leaky connection which is letting air in making the pump whine

you probably have a bad/leaky connection which is letting air in making the pump whine

as for the fluid. audi

god... i cant post to save my life today

as for fluid. audi/vw/vag green mineral stuff

you know you can edit a post, you dont have to write it over and over until you get it right

Edit: Or did you want to get over the 1000 post mark :)

I had made the original post, the page timed out whilst posting it. i pressed back to resend it and add some more about the fluid, which itself went wrong hence the third post.

fail :(

I didnt mean it as a permenent fix! faults dont just go away! but if he fixes any leaks and tops up with the fluid and its still a bit noisey then it "might?" help a little untill he can afford new unit!:)

Good news then guys, thanks. I figured it'd be the steering, but I'm slowly coming to expect the absolute worst possible cause for any creaks or squeeks. I guess bad luck is what I get for buying the damn thing last Feb Friday the 13th!

Actually, stuff's probably failing because it's done 113k miles.

Well, it's not the power steering fluid - finally got the cover off and the level is absolutely fine. How can I check the pump? The guy on the phone at Audi said it might be the steering rack... possible? Or just the stealers trying to get my car in for another grand's worth of labour? He also said it'd be 3 weeks until he could book the car in, unless I just leave it with them and they try to take a look if someone cancels or a job goes quicker than expected... not exactly top notch.

the system can still be leaking air IN without losing a lot of fluid

start up the car, steer it left to right and see if the PAS fluid goes bubbly

Yup, really bubbly, even without steering. Found a thread somewhere else that said you should start the car for a few seconds with the cap off and then let it settle for a minute then start it again and so on until no more bubbles. Just spent half an hour doing that and seems to be smoother, rather than just frothy, but there's still bubbling. And it's raining, so I stopped. I'll persevere over the weekend (and somehow fit in 3 consecutive 25th birthdays) and report back if the fluid clears up, or if I need help in an elaborate insurance scam.