Post remap sucky noise.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.

After my remap, 6months-ish ago. Over 3-5k rpm..I can hear the turbo a lot louder.
When under load on a steep hill etc its very very sucky... As with the 3 other remapped s3's i have drove.

(Other than "sportquattro's" whos isnt as audible as mine)

Is this the Tip collapsing, thus forcing the air through a tighter gap?
or just the sound of more air being dragged through the airbox.

After watching the vid (i think its on forges site) or the tip collapsing, i assume that would make a definate change of induction note.

Ideas?.
Callum

No ideas, but mine makes the same "sucky" noise, a bit like trying to get the last bits of a McDonald's milkshake up through the straw only quieter!

Mine does the same, it must be peak boost, sucking max air, not always there, and doubted the TIP so bought a 4 play one to replace it, as I know on heigher gears the power is not the same, more load more colaps. I hope that helps. come on 3k to 4k exact. love the noise though, REVO setup.

Mine sounds like a jet with the noise it makes but i have smoother the airbox, put a GC panel filter in, took the air feed out, removed the bonnet lining, de-meshed the maf and fitted a larger TIP haha, but yeah mine makes an unreal sound, can hear it when the radios on too, i like it though :)

^^ I appreciate that, but what makes the noise?
Is it the turbo flowing more air?... Turbulence through the airbox?
I still think theres a possibility the TIP collapses slightly thus dragging the air through a smaller cavity.

Any volunteers to lay under my bonnet and watch/ record my tip?

yeah noise is increase airflow, maybe resistance in the pipe but i doubt it. But the larger the diameter of the pipe the less resistance it will cause, that is basic physics, but the material can be also factor towards it, some walls will cause more resistance than others.

I dont think id bother with an uprated TIP as the evidence isnt solid enough for me to consider parting with my hard earned cash, although if somebody logged higher maf readings after fitting one...

Standard TIP will collapse after 1.1 bars; you won't see it unless you were recording with a camera while you are driving, or on dyno. You could go as far as making from aluminium and silicon connectors, but it is costly, and very few people would do it. It will never give you an issue regardless of power gain, and would sound nicer to. Having said that I just bought a Chinese TIP of eBay, I am hoping it will be good enough for the time being.

Last edited: