Chris NottVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Exclamation headLights/numberplate Overhaul due ,advice required

sup guys

my front headlights are crap they look yellow one of my sidelights is out as well so on my travels i came across this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    what u guys reckon , its everything i need sidelights beams and headlights ,seems cheap too

also while im on the subject i might aswell update my numberplate lights
    i came across this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-A4-S3-...item414cd94f5c

its only one bulb i thought they have two lights what u guys reckon of this

once again thanks in anticipation

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    See two threads further down the list (last posts yesterday/this morning)... One about 100W bulbs, another about LED number plate lights?

//R
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Neutral

Status
    cheers bud ,

Neutral

Status
    can anyone tell me if these products are compatible with my 8L 1.8t

Smell my finger.

Status
    For number plate lights you need 2 x 37mm white LED festoon type bulbs. There are loads of suppliers on egay but a google search will bring up lots of shops that sell them. The ones you have posted should work though.

As for the headlight bulbs then they would also fit, however be warned (as stated in the ad) that they are not approved for road use. However chances of you getting pinched for them is very slim indeed. Bear in mind that they are 100w and will get F hot, I've read a few horror stories about headlight internals melting/burning etc due to the head they produce.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Administrator

Status
    100W bulbs will go in, they may work OK, they may look inexplicably dark. There is a risk (depending on the type of headlight you have I guess) that you could melt the lenses, but regardless of which headlights you have, AFAIK the wiring isn't rated for 100W, and there have been stories of it burning out - apparently the same can happen with your headlight switch. They're an 'on your head be it' mod. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

As for the LED number-plate bulbs, so long as you get the correct fitment you should have no problem at all - the car doesn't keep an eye on those lines for blown bulbs, so no risk of false warning-lights etc.

...Pretty much covered in the other threads though?

All the best,

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yep, pretty well covered. I'd suggest there's a certain amount of common sense that needs to be applied when dealing with vehicle electrics.

Although the headlight bulbs in that kit are wrong (in relation to my lamps anyway) as I have H7's and H4's in mine. However it is a pre-facelift car so it may differ...but that ads still wrong as it says mines H1 fitment....fail.

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Administrator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    as I have H7's and H4's in mine.
    Are you sure bud? Aren't H4 the twin-filament bulbs which do dipped and main in the one bulb? (a l prefacelift B5)

I seem to remember my '98 8L having H1 and H7?

Cheese

Rob.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yep, pretty sure as my fogs are in the main headlight cluster (pre facelift) so the 'full beam' is also the fog light bulb Its the most inward of the 2 bulbs, front fog light and then full beam in one bulb shaped package.

Administrator

Status
    And that splains it! Mine didn't have front frogs. Ribbit!

Must be H7 and H4 for models with front fogs, and H7 and H1 for those without.

//R

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yep, unless it has fog lights in the lower bumper such as the facelift cars...then it'll have fog lights and need H7 and H1. So not confusing at all!.

But the long and short of it is...that ebay ad is still wrong

Administrator

Status
    Well, it's wrong for prefacelift with fogs, but right for prefacelift without fogs, and facelift with or without fogs. I reckon we've nailed it(?)

//R

Smell my finger.

Status
    Its something like that yes